ECN Forum
Posted By: HLCbuild Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupters - 03/12/05 03:25 AM
Question: What is the wording in the 2002 and the 2005 for Arc-Fault protection for "Dwelling Unit Bedrooms"? Unfortunately we are still in the 1999 NEC and it it specifically says "receptacle outlets" must be protected. Yet in previous discussions I've seen members say all the outlets including paddle fans, lights, and smoke detectors must also be protected.
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupters - 03/12/05 07:36 PM
Artical 210.12(B) uses the term "outlets"

1999 NEC didn't require AFCI protection...as I remember...

shortcircuit
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupters - 03/12/05 11:30 PM
Shortcircuit,

Thanks...we won't be in the 2002 code for 3 more years so I didn't feel like buying one yet. But I was interested as the discussions seem to center around "outlets". This is a change from '99 which specifically says "receptacle outlets"

Harold
Posted By: nesparky Re: Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupters - 03/13/05 12:51 AM
Sounds like it is up to your AHJ.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupters - 03/16/05 01:09 AM
1999 NEC had a sleeper: It requires AFCI protection for branch circuits feeding 120 volt, 15 and 20 amp bedroom receptacle outlets installed after 2002.

The 2002 NEC requires AFCI protection for all 120 volt, 15 and 20 amp branch circuits feeding outlets in bedrooms. (added lights, 120 volt AC units and smokies)

The 2005 NEC also requires AFCI protection in all outlets in bedrooms, but allows receptacle type AFCI devices if fed by no more than 6 feet of conductor in a metal type conduit or cable. There is a sleeper in the 2005 NEC too. AFCI devices are required to extend protection to the cord connected appliance by 2008.
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupters - 03/16/05 01:18 AM
Earlydean,
Thanks for the info. I wonder how long it will be before they make us put a GFI/AFCI main breaker in the panel!
Posted By: e57 Re: Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupters - 03/16/05 01:43 AM
I'm waiting for the day they make us add TVSS and UPS to every panel, I have stock in a few companies..... [Linked Image] (Kidding I wish...) Where do I start my lobbying effort?
Posted By: mountainman Re: Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupters - 03/16/05 03:53 PM
HLCbuild, in Virginia the requirement for AFCI breakers is in the USBC Technical Amedments/Supplement Provisions E3802.9. And what this says " All branch circuits that supply 125 volt single phase 15 and 20 ampere receptacle outlets installed shall be protected by arc fault circuit interupters." So if you are building new homes you are required to protect the branch circuit for bedrooms with arc fault.
© ECN Electrical Forums