ECN Forum
Posted By: walrus 15 hr 2005 code class, continuing education - 02/12/05 10:26 PM
Just got done my 15 hr code update on the 2005 code. Maine requires it every code change and this class was done by a Maine inspector. Good class.
Trivia questions raised in class.

Does the NEC define a sub panel??

Is EMT conduit?

Last but not least
under 334.30 NM cable
"Sections of cable protected from physical damage by raceway shall not be required to be secured within raceway" [Linked Image]

I know other states require code updates, do you take a class?, do home study? over the net??
Walrus, the answers to the two questions are the same for both. [Linked Image]

We have to have 8 hrs yearly in NC and I do mine online.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 02-12-2005).]
Florida requires 14 hours every 2 years, two of which have to be "accessibility" which is stupid PC politics. There is nothing in the NEC (the Fla electrical code) about acessibility. I waste 2 hours of my life learning about wheelchair turning radii in bathroom stalls and ramp slopes. The real problem is the only way to get the accessibility class is to go to some confrence that costs several hundred bucks (no ala carte classes) since they don't do that one in a road show. I can get my NEC CEUs at the IAEI cheap.
I need 15 and 5 or 6.

15 hrs in a structured class by a certified teacher and 5 or 6 (I can not remember which) of job related info. like a safety course.

Last cycle I claimed my posts on the forums as my additional time. [Linked Image]
Last cycle I claimed my posts on the forums as my additional time.
Bob, I thought about doing this too nut i didn't know if it would fly. There is no real system in place to check the extra 6 hours other than a random audit at which point you have to show proof. I did my six hours with a grounding a bonding class. The word "useless" comes to mind. The look an the guys face when asked how to bond plastic water lines was priceless. They also were preaching ALL exposed metal in a house must be bonded. Lally columns, sort steel support beams, oil tanks etc. I asked about metal shelving and the guy nodded. [Linked Image]
Posted By: cpal Re: 15 hr 2005 code class, continuing education - 02/13/05 01:56 PM
During the last cycle the Board (In Mass) was non specific regarding what subject matter would qualify as towards the 6 hours of CEUs.

They expressed that their intent was to provide latitude to each individual to make an informed opinion regarding their own interests in the hope that it would motivate one to attain additional training beyond the initial 15 hours.

There was an argument to require 21 hours of Code. Several of the providers suggest that such a requirement would incite a revolt.

The State was compelled to require 21 hours to maintain reciprocal agreements with the other states , the 6 hours as they now stand was a compromise.

It is regrettable that anyone is forced to endure i minute of time that is not productive and industry enhancing. There are many avenues available to pursue the additional six hours in Mass. and hopefully the Board will not mandate specific coursed in the 05 cycle. At least that way each of us will maintain a self choice.

Charlie
Posted By: LK Re: 15 hr 2005 code class, continuing education - 02/14/05 03:13 AM
Quote:
"It is regrettable that anyone is forced to endure i minute of time that is not productive and industry enhancing. There are many avenues available to pursue the additional six hours in Mass. and hopefully the Board will not mandate specific coursed in the 05 cycle. At least that way each of us will maintain a self choice."

Charlie,

Here in New Jersey they require 34 hours of CEU's, and it must be Board approved courses,
They exclude Online courses, and any other types of training, with many EC's working in different areas of the trade, their needs for training are varied, it appears, the mandate of hours required, are more important, then the EC's having the choice of varied methods of training.
The State of Michigan requires that licensed person (Journey & Master) take a code update class before renewal of license within a year of updating of the electrical code. The class must be approved by the State Electrrical Board and be a minimum of 15 hours of training. This is in addition to about 49 hours of training required to maintain our inspector registration. Michigan updates their code about every three years. I am in full support of this program and I think the electrical industry in the State of Michigan has really benefited since we have gone to the continuing education requirement.
I also agree the 15 hour course (MA) is a great requirment.

The class goes over the changes for the new cycle.

That said it does seem like our NJ members are getting a raw deal.

If I remeber right the NJ class costs them $700 or $800 ours runs under $200
Texas jus got the state wide license up and running last September. Presently they require 4 hours CE per year. 3 on the code and 1 on Texas law. I took mine online.
Posted By: cpal Re: 15 hr 2005 code class, continuing education - 02/14/05 05:26 PM
LK

The State of Mass. (iwire and Electricmanscott) has 21 hours of CEU on the books 15 are mandated to encompass Electrical National and State Code Changes)
The additional 6 are left to the individual’s interests. A candidates completion of the 15 hours are reported on the States Data Base directly to our board of examiners there are a limited number of us doing these presentations and we must submit our syllabus to the board for approval as well as post a bond.

For the most part many of the providers also present the 6-hour classes but board direstion is limited. Essentially a individual whom wishes to acquire a Masters Lic. (Contractors here) could take a business related class at a college, or something like that.

I have been presenting 15-hour Code updates since 1987, (teaching since 1973) and I can assure you from my side of the room (weekends and evenings) it can be a grind on those that are required to attend. I'm self-motivated I enjoy the conversations and interaction (I also receive pay). But the people that work all day in the cold then have to sit in a hot class room tend to get a little "lets say distracted". I would guess that happens everywhere.

I think some of the electricians we see need more code, theory, business law, etc. But from my perspective a good number of them are teaching me a thing or two. It goes both ways.

I still like the idea of self directed professional improvement. Sure the state could be a little more involved in regards to content, but my experience would tend to lean towards less is better. I also think 21 is hours in fine. But that would be this mans opinion

Charlie
If I remeber right the NJ class costs them $700 or $800 ours runs under $200

My class in Maine cost 75 bucks, which included 2 lunches [Linked Image]
Guys:
NJ is 1 hour 'law', 9 hrs NEC update (2005 now), (2x5 hr classes) and 24 hrs of 'trade related courses'. Instructors are State Approved, as are the courses. This is a mandatory thing every Lic. renewal period (3 yrs)

Costs vary, depending on the Instructor(s), and if you are a member of an association they are affiliated with.

I had a flyer here somewhere, think it was about $500, but Walrus's numbers are in the ballpark.

BTW, Inspectors also require 3x8 hr seminars, plus 3x8 hrs for Sub-Code, and I think 3x8 hrs more for CO. The DCA sponsors these seminars (State (Rutgers/DCA) run) and all it costs is TIME.

John
new york doesn't have a state wide lic.
some counties have one, but my county (orange) doesn't...the 3 cities in my co. have their own...
i have to carry 3 diferent lic. for my county,plus 1 ea. for my surronding counties!! just a money making scheme!!
5 yr. apprenteship take a 4 hr. exam and proof of liability ins. is all it takes....no ceu's...no updates...
bill
Bob and John,

Yeah, NJ is getting a bad deal. The 35 hours is all because of the local associations. I think that 10 hours was enough for renewal of our Lic. The Assoc. just wanted to get into the act. They said that if you join our assoc. we can give you the extra hours that you need. That is BS in my eyes. John, as you said, as an AHJ I need all of these classes for my HHS and sub code lic. yet they wouldn't accept it for my contractors Lic. I am going to take the 10 update just for the fun of it, but I am not taking anymore. I will "shelf" my Lic. till/If I need it again. I don't have a bus. permit anymore and I don't have a seal. But I don't want to give up the Lic.
Harold:
I trust that you have read thoroughly the methods of maintaining your EC Lic without being 'active' with a Business Permit.

Sometimes, I have the thought of 'hanging-up' the tools so to say, and doing the AHJ thing full time, but.....I really like what I do!

Take care my friend.

John
Harold:
I trust that you have read thoroughly the methods of maintaining your EC Lic without being 'active' with a Business Permit.

Sometimes, I have the thought of 'hanging-up' the tools so to say, and doing the AHJ thing full time, but.....I really like what I do!

Take care my friend.

John
John,

I think that since I don't have a business permit, I will let my license go into the "Inactive" status. I am going to take the required 10 hour course just for fun, but I don't have the other hours that that was part of that 34 hour deal. I don't think that there is anything special I have to do. I will have to re-read my reqirements before my lic. is up.
Posted By: tkb Re: 15 hr 2005 code class, continuing education - 02/26/05 02:32 PM
From what I hear CT now has an 8 hour requirement.
Does any one know if the providers in MA that are accepted in MA, RI, VT, NH, and ME will be accepted in CT?
Hi Tim, So far only one provider is on the CT list. Al Carosella out of East Longmeadow, MA is approved. Leo Martin and a few others have applied and should be approved in the next month. Our shop is waiting for Leo to get approved and then will have him do a class for us.
Al
Since CT just added the CE requirement, it will take some time before all the bugs are worked out and it the wheels get moving.

But only one provider so far? That is ridiculous in a state of 3.3 million.

Then again, we just adopted the 2002 NEC last July, so why are I surprised? [Linked Image]

Peter
Peter I think my buddy Al is talking about one CT certified provider located here in MA.

I hope you all down there have more options then that. [Linked Image]

Bob
Peter, sorry for the confusion. Tim was asking about MA providers. Only one MA provider is certified by CT at this time. We either go to him or travel to CT for a course. I would hope you have many choices in CT.
Al
Bob and Al, thanks, makes sense now. Obviously, I haven't really investigated the situation enough but there is more than enough hearsay going around about the new requirement. A lot of grumbling too. [Linked Image]

I also keep hearing (from certified instructors) that they are going to lengthen the term of apprenticeship to 5 years from its current 4 years. If it's true and they do, we can expect even less people entering the trade. [Linked Image]
BTW, you Mass. guys shouldn't have much trouble with a CT class, seeing as how it's based on the 2002 NEC. Don't mind us here, there's only a 4 year delay in the code cycle. [Linked Image]
Posted By: cpal Re: 15 hr 2005 code class, continuing education - 02/26/05 08:41 PM
I thought the CT course was 7 hours per year for three years and it includes specific instruction including the CT building Code can any one verify this

Charlie P
Charlie, I will do some research, ask some people, and try to get a solid answer.
Posted By: cpal Re: 15 hr 2005 code class, continuing education - 02/26/05 08:53 PM
thanks
Posted By: tkb Re: 15 hr 2005 code class, continuing education - 02/27/05 12:17 AM
So if CT is on 2002, do I use a 2005 update certificate or my last one for 2002?
The CEU requirement for Connecticut is indeed 7 hours per year.

Peter
© ECN Electrical Forums