ECN Forum
Posted By: Steve Miller Range over 27kw - 02/10/05 11:06 AM
Well the students stumped me again. We were discussing 220-19 (household ranges). After going over all the notes to the tables and doing lots of examples one of them asks what to do if we have only one range but it's over 27kw. After a few minutes of searching and head scratching I had no clue. Do we just consider it 27kw? Do we continue using the "add 5% for each kw over 12" method? Or are the mfgs not permitted to make a household range over 27kw? Anybody have an answer? (preferably with refs cause I know these guys are gonna ask where I got the answer)
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Range over 27kw - 02/10/05 02:34 PM
27KW range. Holy #$%^
Posted By: Roger Re: Range over 27kw - 02/10/05 03:09 PM
I would give the students a homework project to find a manufacturer that offers a residential range over 27KW.

Note; I have heard (I can't back it up)that large commercial cooking equipment actually states not for residential use.

Roger
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Range over 27kw - 02/10/05 05:24 PM
Roger: I can back that up. 2000 International Mechanical Code, section 917.2, Prohibited Locations:

Cooking appliances designed, listed and labeled for use in commercial occupancies shall not be installed within dwelling units or within any area where domestic cooking operations occur.
Posted By: Roger Re: Range over 27kw - 02/10/05 06:07 PM
Thank you Ryan. [Linked Image]

Roger
© ECN Electrical Forums