ECN Forum
Posted By: cb2001 branch circut - 02/09/05 01:09 AM
is it ok to use a 20 amp refridgerator circut to feed multiple receptacles please quote code thanks
Posted By: e57 Re: branch circut - 02/09/05 01:20 AM
Depends on the refer.....

422.10(B) Circuits Supplying Two or More Loads. For branch circuits supplying appliance and other loads, the rating shall be determined in accordance with 210.23.

------------------------------------

210.23 Permissible Loads.
In no case shall the load exceed the branch-circuit ampere rating. An individual branch circuit shall be permitted to supply any load for which it is rated. A branch circuit supplying two or more outlets or receptacles shall supply only the loads specified according to its size as specified in 210.23(A) through (D) and as summarized in 210.24 and Table 210.24.

The requirements of 210.23 are often misunderstood. An individual (single-outlet) branch circuit can supply any load within its rating. On the other side, the load, of course, cannot be greater than the branch-circuit rating.

(A) 15- and 20-Ampere Branch Circuits. A 15- or 20-ampere branch circuit shall be permitted to supply lighting units or other utilization equipment, or a combination of both, and shall comply with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).
Exception: The small appliance branch circuits, laundry branch circuits, and bathroom branch circuits required in a dwelling unit(s) by 210.11(C)(1), (2), and (3) shall supply only the receptacle outlets specified in that section.

Section 210.23(A) permits a 15- or 20-ampere branch circuit for lighting to also supply utilization equipment fastened in place, such as an air conditioner. The equipment load must not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating (7.5 amperes on a 15-ampere circuit and 10 amperes on a 20-ampere circuit). However, according to 210.52(B), such fastened-in-place equipment is not permitted on the small-appliance branch circuits required in the kitchen, dining room, and so on.

(1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment. The rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.
(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires (lighting fixtures), shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.
(NEC Commentary in italics)

If the refer is over 7.5A on 15A CT, or 10A on 20A CT, then it is a dedicated circuit for what-ever its rating is......

422.10(A) Individual Circuits. The rating of an individual branch circuit shall not be less than the marked rating of the appliance or the marked rating of an appliance having combined loads as provided in 422.62.
The rating of an individual branch circuit for motor-operated appliances not having a marked rating shall be in accordance with Part II of Article 430.
The branch-circuit rating for an appliance that is continuously loaded, other than a motor-operated appliance, shall not be less than 125 percent of the marked rating, or not less than 100 percent of the marked rating if the branch-circuit device and its assembly are listed for continuous loading at 100 percent of its rating.
Branch circuits for household cooking appliances shall be permitted to be in accordance with Table 220.19.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 02-08-2005).]
Posted By: dana1028 Re: branch circut - 02/09/05 01:22 AM
yes it is; there is not much to quote as the Code does not require a dedicated circuit for a refrigerator.

If you look at this in reverse: 210.52(B)(1) - says the 2 small-appliance branch circuits shall serve all the countertop receptacles required in 210.52(C)(1) AND receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment. [Obviously the circuit load restrictions in 220 would apply].

[This message has been edited by dana1028 (edited 02-08-2005).]
Posted By: e57 Re: branch circut - 02/09/05 01:30 AM
Sorry dana I was editing my post when you posted to include that.
Posted By: e57 Re: branch circut - 02/09/05 01:33 AM
Any which way, I usually avoid the practice. The fridge might get bigger in the future. And, nobody wants spoiled food everytime they use the toaster.
Posted By: cb2001 Re: branch circut - 02/09/05 01:48 AM
thanks guys i usualy wouldnt do it but the home owner wanted a convience recep for vac just wandered if in violation
Posted By: dana1028 Re: branch circut - 02/09/05 01:48 AM
ditto e57 - I think it poor practice to put any other outlets/loads on the refrig. ckt.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: branch circut - 02/09/05 05:31 AM
New refrigerators don't really use much current. Put a clamp on one and watch it. I suppose it is still a good idea to split them out if it is easy. My 1963 house has it on the overhead light circuit and I don't see the lights dim when the fridge comes on.
(new double door stainless Whirlpool fridge with all the doodads)
Posted By: iwire Re: branch circut - 02/09/05 10:04 AM
New refrigerators don't really use much current.

I agree, my fridge is medium sized and is labeled at 4.75 amps @ 115 volts.

Many other items in my kitchen are more of a concern.

My microwve 1800 watts @ 120 volts. (15 amps)

My 'Hot Shot' (It boils water for one cup of coffee) 1475 watts.

Small convection oven 1800 watts.

All of those are counter top appliances that run from the small appliance branch circuits.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-11-2005).]
Posted By: IanR Re: branch circut - 02/11/05 07:00 PM
You mentioned that the HO wanted a convenience recept for a VAC. I'm assuming that you were referring to a vacuum cleaner, I would probably advise the HO against it. My reasoning is while new fridges have a lower draw than in the past vacuum cleaners still tend to draw a fair amount of juice. The draw of the vac and the staring current of the fridge could possibly trip the breaker. Perhaps I may be being to cautious, but after the last hurricane season down here in FLA, I know first hand how much a fridge full of spoiled food sucks.
Just my $.02
Ian

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 02-11-2005).]
Posted By: cb2001 Re: branch circut - 02/12/05 10:39 PM
thanks for the input guys i talked home owner into running a home run for that an a freezer in the garage hahaha

thanks again
Charlie
Posted By: dana1028 Re: branch circut - 02/13/05 02:02 AM
" The draw of the vac and the staring current of the fridge could possibly trip the breaker."
Ian

While I am a strong advocate of a dedicated refrigerator circuit I think it unlikely a vac & frig (startup current for each) would trip even a 15A breaker [and we are talking about a 20A breaker in this scenario].

I say this because this is an issue of 'overload' current on a circuit breaker.

Overload is a time-line consideration...the greater the load, the shorter the time before the breaker opens.

However, a 15A breaker will hold 28A for several minutes without tripping. (My bathroom receptacles used to be on a 15A breaker...and would hold an 11A elect. floor heater, a 1440W hair dryer, a curling iron, a rack of curlers, a radio-clock and the bathroom lights without tripping the breaker...both my wife and I could blow-dry our hair [several minutes] and not trip the breaker....I was not aware of all these loads on the 15A circuit until my wife replaced the 1440W hair blow dryer with an 1875W blow dryer...then the circuit tripped...I now have two 20A ckts for these loads and the lights are on a 15A lighting circuit).

The point I'm getting at: a circuit breaker will carry a small overload almost indefinitely without tripping.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: branch circut - 02/14/05 02:44 AM
210.52(b)(1) Receptacle Outlets Served.
...and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment."

Exception NO. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an INDIVIDUAL BRANCH CIRCUIT rated 15 amperes or greater.

If the refriderator you are talking about is located in the kitchen, than it receives it's supply from the Small Appliance Branch Circuit, or has to be supplied from an individual branch circuit which is defined in Art 100.
If the refriderator is not located in the kitchen, than follow the other code citations that have been posted.

Pierre
Posted By: gfretwell Re: branch circut - 02/14/05 04:53 AM
There is no requirement for a "refrigeration outlet" though, so the fridge could be plugged into a general lighting circuit.
Note it says "shall be permitted", not "shall be required".
This only says if you have a refrigeration outlet it can be 15a, not 20 like the small appliance circuit.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: branch circut - 02/14/05 01:22 PM
There is no requirement for a "refrigeration outlet" though, so the fridge could be plugged into a general lighting circuit.
Not if it is in the kitchen.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: branch circut - 02/14/05 05:28 PM
Where is the requirement for the refrigeration circuit? Where is the prohibition against a general lighting circuit in the kitchen as long as it does not serve the counter top?

There is a difference between shall be permitted and shall be required isn't there?

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 02-14-2005).]
Posted By: iwire Re: branch circut - 02/14/05 05:43 PM
Greg the general requirement is to feed the refrigeration from the small appliance branch circuit look at the last part of 210.52(B)(1).

2002 NEC
210.52(B)(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A) and (C) and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.

Then comes the 'shall be permitted exception'.

210.52(B)(1)Exception No. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

So the refrigerator is either on one of the small-appliance branch or it shall be on an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

No other options, at this point with the lower draw of refrigerators it may be overkill. IMO

Bob
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: branch circut - 02/14/05 05:44 PM
Greg,
210.52(B) Small Appliances.
(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A) and (C) and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.
Don
Posted By: Roger Re: branch circut - 02/14/05 05:45 PM
Glenn, 210.52(B)(1) mandates the refrigerator be fed from one of the SA branch circuits unless a dedicated circuit is supplied per exception # 2.

Roger
Posted By: Roger Re: branch circut - 02/14/05 05:47 PM
All at once now [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: iwire Re: branch circut - 02/14/05 06:18 PM
All at once now

I am disappointed we are all one minute apart. [Linked Image]

Now on my mark synchronize our watches.

3, 2, 1, mark. [Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: branch circut - 02/14/05 06:26 PM
OK I agree I was wrong ;-)
Live and learn.
I guess I never really did enough residential to understand this rule. So this means the receptacles on the wall of the dining room have to be on the SA circuit ... interesting.
In a "great room" arrangement, where does the dining area stop and the living room start? I liked it better when I thought the SA circuit served the countertops.
So what usually happens? Do you tag a SA circuit before the GFCI for the fridge or do you put this big "table lamp" on its own 15.
Posted By: iwire Re: branch circut - 02/14/05 06:33 PM
I guess I never really did enough residential to understand this rule.

You'll want to keep it that way, I find most of 210.52 confusing at best.

I'll stick to non-dwelling units. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums