ECN Forum
Posted By: earlydean Residential receptacle spacing - 01/31/05 08:41 PM
Does a duplex receptacle still count for general lighting receptacles per 210.52(A)(within 6 feet of any spot on the wall) if the receptacle is switched (both halves)as allowed by 210.70(A)(1)exc.1? Or, is it required to split the duplex receptacle into one outlet always hot and the other switched?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 01/31/05 10:53 PM
Looks legal to me, although perhaps a bad design
Posted By: DougW Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 01/31/05 11:30 PM
I don't recall the Code excluding switched receptacles... it just says that they have to be the minimum distance (12') apart, or 6' from any point along a wall.

Nothing about always hot.
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 02/01/05 10:03 AM
If you switch the top and bottom of a duplex receptacle, it becomes a lighting outlet and would not meet the requirements on spacing for receptacle outlets as specified in 210.52(A)(1)

So...common practice is to switch half of the receptacle outlet in a room to meet the requirements of both 210.52(A)(1) and 210.70(A)(1)

It is not required to be split,but if you don't you must also locate a "Live" receptacle outlet next to the switched lighting outlet to meet the spacing requirements.

My practice is to switch the top half so when the homeowner plugs in a cordless phone with those little square power transformers it does not cover the other half of the receptacle.

shortcircuit
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 02/01/05 01:14 PM
shortcircuit,
If you switch the top and bottom of a duplex receptacle, it becomes a lighting outlet and would not meet the requirements on spacing for receptacle outlets as specified in 210.52(A)(1)
Please cite the code section that says this. Thanks.
Posted By: cpal Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 02/01/05 01:39 PM
Short Circuit

That is a Mass Amendment!

Charlie
Posted By: George Little Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 02/01/05 02:04 PM
Don- I believe that's called a "vest pocket" rule" [Linked Image] Also, I think DougW meant to say "maximum" in stead of "Minimum 12 feet." in his comment.
Posted By: cpal Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 02/01/05 03:48 PM
George
Please explain "vest pocket"??

Charlie
Posted By: IanR Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 02/01/05 06:04 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think that is an NEC requirement. Down here in Central FLA none of the outlets I have seen are split switched, the room light switch operates the whole duplex.
Ian
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 02/01/05 07:20 PM
Ian, I suppose it is just regional, even when we are on exactly the same code. In Lee County Fl. they want "half hots" but I doubt they actually check close enough to catch folks 99.999% of the time.
Inspectors are so overworked around here I wonder how they find anything.
(30 or more a day)
A agree there is no clear code language to enforce it.
Posted By: George Little Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 02/01/05 08:10 PM
Charlie- Vest pocket rules are those rules that the inspector uses because he don't know any better. Vest pocket rules are the ones they used to quote me when I was an installer and I'd say "Mr. Inspector, I have to get paid for this change order so can you show me in the code where it says that?" Typical response was - "I'll let it go this time, but don't do it again" The only place those rules exist is in his vest pocket, not in any code book. About 10 years ago, Michigan started requiring inspectors to have continuing education requirements and code update classes. as a result, we don't have as many vest pocket rules.
Who you kidding Charlie, you know about vest pocket rules, and your just messing with me [Linked Image]
Posted By: IanR Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 02/01/05 08:58 PM
"Inspectors are so overworked around here I wonder how they find anything.
(30 or more a day)"

True, possibly qualifies as understatement of the year. They run em ragged round here.
Ian

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 02-01-2005).]
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 02/02/05 12:40 AM
cpal...it is a Massachusetts requirement [Linked Image]Excuse me guys, thats the way we have been wiring switched plugs for years.

It does make sense though...switch the top and bottom of a receptacle and it doesn't leave any "live" outlet when the switch is off...break out the extension cords [Linked Image]

shortcircuit
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 02/02/05 01:08 AM
I asked my favorite builder and she says if there is one "half hot" or a ceiling fixture, they can switch both sides of the rest in a room. A way of confirming Shortcircuit's intrepretation. ... in the roundabout way of trade rules.
It does make sense.
"That one" is my lighting outlet and the rest are receptacles ... that happen to have a switch on them.
Posted By: cpal Re: Residential receptacle spacing - 02/02/05 03:07 PM
George Your right I am aware of the "vest pocket rule" although I was raised to recognize it as a message from GOD.

Charlie
© ECN Electrical Forums