ECN Forum
Posted By: tomselectrc riser - 01/13/05 06:17 PM
IS IT acsecptable for the power company service line to run over liveable dwelling?If it is how far off the roof does it need to be?
Posted By: iwire Re: riser - 01/13/05 06:23 PM
Yes, 230.24(A)
Posted By: dabest Re: riser - 01/28/05 06:58 PM
it is acceptable so long as the point of attachment sustains a 3' clearance above roof for the roofers sake
Posted By: gfretwell Re: riser - 01/28/05 07:52 PM
That 3' is only "final conductor span" leading to the service head. Normally the clearance is 8' above the roof for a distance of 3' beyond the roof edge.
Posted By: CharlieE Re: riser - 01/29/05 06:02 PM
Actually, the NESC is the Code that covers the serving electric utility’s service drop clearances. The 3 ft beyond the roof’s edge is not in the NESC. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
Posted By: gfretwell Re: riser - 01/30/05 02:24 AM
What is the NESC rule for height over a roof?
Posted By: BigB Re: riser - 01/30/05 03:19 AM
It's up to the POCO. Here they won't allow the eight foot riser if it's more than 3 feet from the edge because they don't allow the line crews to use a ladder on the roof for safety reasons. So they specify five feet, no matter how much of the drop extends over the roof.
Posted By: Admin Re: riser - 01/31/05 02:23 AM
These are "before and after" photos of one result of a service change I did. As you can see, the service drop has a lot more clearance than it previously had.

So, yes, you can run these conductors over a dwelling, but you do need 36" clearance. While I believe that this is covered in NEC 230-24, your local utility is likely to have a different rule.

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: riser - 01/31/05 02:39 AM
If this drop is not going to the building in question I think 230.24 says it has to be 8 feet above the roof, out to a distance of 3 feet from the roof's edge. The exception (4) is for the final span of the drop that connects to the riser on the building served
Posted By: renosteinke Re: riser - 02/02/05 01:37 AM
Somehow the "before" and "after shots got reversed [Linked Image]. I hate it when that happens!
I will admit that 230 also references the pitch of the roof; this roof is right on the line, and I let the inspector decide. Part of this was based upon the heigth of the riser on the building getting new service; see photos added to "flagpoles" in "photos submitted for discussion."
Posted By: Active 1 Re: riser - 02/02/05 02:57 AM
In some areas around here built in the 50's are like that. They have these 1 story homes with low service drops and long spans to the pole. Then they must have built the next house under it. Never had much luck geting the utility to do anything about it even if it cost the customer.

I know one where it looked like the neibor built an addition under the lines with out the proper clearance. If it passed inspection then who is responcable for the service drop too close to the roof? The person with the service, the neibor with the addition, the city for passing the inspection, or the utility?

Tom
© ECN Electrical Forums