ECN Forum
Posted By: shortcircuit Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/22/04 11:54 PM
When a kitchen island that is 10 feet long and has a sink cut in the middle of it, and the counter space on each side of the sink is longer than 24 inches, are we required to provide a receptacle outlet for each counter space on either side of the sink?

shortcircuit
Posted By: George Little Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/23/04 01:09 AM
I would say no based on the key word "island" since an island is only required to have one receptacle opening. From a practical standpoint and if I were using that island I would install more than one receptacle outlet. Since the code only requires one, that's all I could enforce as the inspector.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/23/04 11:04 AM
Yes you'll need two. 210.52(C)2 Says "At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each countertop space". 210.52(C)4 says "Counter top spaces separated by rangetops, refrigerators or sinks shall be considered as separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52(C)1,2. and 3.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/23/04 06:53 PM
Only if the counter behind the sink is less than 300 mm (12") wide. 210.52(C)(2).
Posted By: George Little Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/23/04 11:34 PM
Did you guys read the origianal post that said it was an Island? The code is rather clear that an island only requires one (1) receptacle. Look at 210.52(B)(2). I stand by my post.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/24/04 12:18 AM
George you are not reading enough.
Posted By: George Little Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/24/04 01:03 AM
George you are not reading enough.
Please explain? The man said it's an island???

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 12-23-2004).]
Posted By: George Little Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/24/04 01:51 AM
Okay I see what you are getting at. 210.52(B)(4) reflect on the rule for an island or a peninsular. So depending on how the sink, range top or refrig separate the island they may require a receptacle on both sides of the appliance. Kinda murky code. Now we are going to argue as to whether it's two or one countertop space.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/24/04 02:22 AM
I knew you'd get it. I do agree, kind of left open to interpretation. In general though if there is an item that splits the island counter area into seperate countertop spaces more than one receptacle would be required. I used to think island, one receptacle. I believe it was this forum that straightened me out. [Linked Image]
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/24/04 04:29 AM
I don't see the ambiguity. If the sink splits the island, and the part of the island that goes behind the sink is less than 300 mm wide, then you need a receptacle on both sides. Otherwise, one will cover it. Where's the ambiguity?
Posted By: sparkystudent Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/24/04 10:03 AM
well ive been called on it by an inspector here. island with sink and 2.5-3 feet on each side required 2 receptacles 1 on each end . as the far side of island had a 16-18 in overhang for barstools. and no receptacle could be placed on back side and the entire front was drawers and cupboards.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/26/04 02:00 PM
210.52(C)(4) refers back to 210.53(C)(1),(2)&(3). This is where an island or peninsula countertop area that is divided by a sink, rangetop and refridgerator would require more than one receptacle outlet.

BTW - there are new illustrations in this section to help with some of the requirements. I would like to see more of this in the future editions of the NEC.

Pierre
Posted By: WebSparky Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/26/04 09:44 PM
Hi Guys,

I believe the key word here is "spaces". Many electricians and inspectors think only one is required on an island or peninsular counter top.

(C) Countertops. In kitchens and dining rooms of dwelling units, receptacle outlets for counter spaces shall be installed in accordance with 210.52(C)(1) through (5).

(2) Island Counter Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each island counter space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater.

Dave
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/27/04 07:18 PM
I agree Dave
If you let logic shade your judgement I would say you need one per "space" in an island. Space, being defined as 24" of counter, invites an appliance and the user should have a place to plug it in.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/27/04 09:52 PM
Hold up with the logic there. You sound like you are saying for every 24" of island counterspace you need a receptacle. This is not true at all unless the spaces are separated by something. A continuous 96" island needs only one receptacle.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/27/04 10:01 PM
210.52(C)(2) Island Counter Spaces. At least one receptacle shall be installed at each island counter space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater. Where a rangetop or sink is installed in an island counter and the width of the counter behind the rangetop or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.), the rangetop or sink is considered to divide the island into two separate countertop spaces as defined in 210.52(C)(4).

(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by rangetops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52(C)(1), (2), and (3).

As I said before, this seems to be perfectly clear. Where is the ambiguity?

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 12-27-2004).]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Kitchen Island Outlets - 12/27/04 10:35 PM
Scott that was my fault for not being clear. One per space, 24" or greater.
In the original case, 2 spaces (either side of the sink), no matter hos long the island is.
© ECN Electrical Forums