ECN Forum
Posted By: mustangelectric Hazardous Location Determination - 09/30/04 06:11 PM
Hi,
I am working on a project where there is a Kiosk or attendant booth that has a door opening into a classified location Class I div II..

I have looked at NFPA 30A and a lot of other references to determine what article would cover what the requirements would be for the electrical equipment/devices installed in the area.

as i understand it, as long as every conduit is sealed below 18" and there is NO electrical equipment or devices located within this zone there is no other requirement. pressurization is about the only way to meet the code economically.

i did find the following in my stallcups elect. design book on page 21-18..combustible gas detection system...500.2;500.7(k)

it says in a building located in, or with an opening into a classi div 2 location where the interior does not contain a source of flammable gas or vapor, electrical equipment for unclassified locations is permitted.

if the building were a wall the area would be unclassified.

thanks for any sugestions or comments.

sincerely,

mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 09-30-2004).]
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Hazardous Location Determination - 10/07/04 03:27 AM
Look at the requirements for a paint spray booth; I believe that the area within five feet of the door is considered a classified area; this could mean that the entire booth qualifies- depends upon the specific risks.
Also, a look at commercial garage requirements suggests that frequent air changes can reduce the classified area.

Classification is not a simple thing. I'd say it was an engineering matter, but, in my experience, engineers are the ones LEAST competent in these matters.
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: Hazardous Location Determination - 10/07/04 10:32 PM
hi,
gasoline dispensing stations fall under the same rules as commercial garages and would be considered unclassified..

i think it is 514...plus NFPA 30 and 30A

-regards

mustang
Posted By: George Little Re: Hazardous Location Determination - 10/08/04 02:03 AM
Gentlemen- I have used the text in 500.4(A) that takes all the guess work out of our jobs as inspectors or installers. I as the inspector, I ask for documentation before I can inspect a job and you as an installer, etc. should also. It is up to the property owner to provide this documentation via any resources he must enlist.
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: Hazardous Location Determination - 10/08/04 03:06 AM
Hi,
I am referring to the corner of a kiosk that is attended which has a doorway that opens into a class 1 div 1 area up to 18". not the whole station.. the article clearly states that any equipment above 18" that is located within this space is considered UNCLASSIFIED and general use equip. may be utilized.

if there is a pipe passing through or under the zone it must have seal offs at each end no higher than 18" and shall have no fittings within the zone.

-regards

mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 10-07-2004).]

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 10-07-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums