ECN Forum
Posted By: George Corron Flammables question - 09/20/04 03:29 PM
Guys,
Need a reference, if one exists.

We have school that is keeping about 60 gallons of gas, and 55 gallons of diesel fuel (yeah, I know the diesel ain't a big deal) in a landscape shed.

Most of the stuff is in front of an electrical panel. There is also a grinder in there. We have warned them that it was an unsafe practice, and they seem to be complying.... BUT

Is there an NFPA document to quote forbidding this practice? The gas is stored in 5 gallon safety cans, the diesel fuel in a drum.

Ahem.... looking at you Don [Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Flammables question - 09/20/04 04:12 PM
Call the Fire Marshal, I was not reading the question and gave the wrong information!

That's why I edited this page!

Go for it Don ....

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-20-2004).]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Flammables question - 09/20/04 05:18 PM
Joe,
The scope that you cited specifies fixed tanks or portable tanks with a capacity of more than 660 gallons. I don't think that is the case here.
Don
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Flammables question - 09/20/04 06:54 PM
Tried to help, I will edit the mistake out and wait for someone else to give the correct information!
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Flammables question - 09/20/04 07:17 PM
Joe,
I don't have a reference for this question. I just wanted to make sure that the original poster did not go to a standard that does not apply to his application.
Don
Posted By: mountainman Re: Flammables question - 09/20/04 07:17 PM
Hi George,
Try OSHA 1926.152, and and article 500 of the 1999 NEC. If they are going to store flammable liquids in that shed with electric than it becomes a hazardous area. If that does not work call the Fire Marshall as Joe suggested. If this is a state school, the state Fire Marshall will be interested.
Joe
Posted By: DougW Re: Flammables question - 09/22/04 03:23 AM
In IL, the State Fire Marshal can red-tag above ground tanks, if improperly installed.
Posted By: George Corron Re: Flammables question - 09/22/04 10:33 AM
Thanks Joe,
They are complying so no biggie, but I was looking for a hard reference. I can categorically state that there is NO ONE like a bunch of teachers.

Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate your efforts.

BTW - good to hear from ya Mountainman, I seemed to have lost contact with you. I'll send you an e-mail with contact info sometime today.
© ECN Electrical Forums