ECN Forum
Hi,
Is there any rule against putting a disconnect in the attic or a sub panel in the attic?

Thanks

Mustang
Posted By: e57 Re: Disconnect/Sub Panel/Breaker In Attic - 09/10/04 12:43 AM
I wouldn't think so, as long as workspace and entrance, line-of-site (if required), etc are all covered. What kind of disco? I don't think a service disco would be ok.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Disconnect/Sub Panel/Breaker In Attic - 09/10/04 01:01 AM
Unless said attic can be considered a "closet", then I can't think of any NEC violation. Keep in mind that clearances must be complied with, and accessability could be an issue.

John
I was reading another thread on here relating to a panel in an attic and there was concern about the high temperatures in attics.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Disconnect/Sub Panel/Breaker In Attic - 09/10/04 04:05 AM
It must be a pretty tall attic to get working space (headroom) and you will need a permanently installed ladder. (readily accessible).
I have seen this discussed with attic mounted air handlers and their disconnect. The energy code pretty much did away with them here so it stopped being as much of an issue.
© ECN Electrical Forums