ECN Forum
Posted By: mustangelectric ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 08/27/04 01:21 AM
forgot to ask, is ent allowed in a clinic?
Posted By: caselec Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 08/27/04 01:56 AM
Not in the areas that require redundant grounding. Also remember that FMC over 6’ is not permitted. You really only have 2 options, a metal raceway (RMC, IMC or EMT) with separate insulated ground wire or HCF AC cable.
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 08/27/04 02:11 AM
thanks, you can always rely on good information from the members of this site..recently was hired to help a contractor out of trouble with a couple jobs..i thought ent and bx looked funny for some reason and ENT WAS longer than 6 feet to boot!

80% of 6000 sq foot of building was ready for rough-in..told boss that there was problem...he decided to fire me...i decided to call the state and ask them who was right..

boss should have taken two and thought it through..

inspectors shut em down for using bx and ent

not a license on the job even though required..

i resigned way before he decided to fire me for questioning his knowledge!

i wonder what he will do now? i am surprised he did not do it in romex!

the cost of that job just doubled...

sad situation these days..

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 08-26-2004).]
Posted By: zapped208 Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 08/31/04 09:56 AM
You guys should read Article 362....ENT
Posted By: caselec Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 08/31/04 03:05 PM
Zapped,
I could read Article 362 a thousand times but ENT will not meet the redundant grounding requirements of Article 517.

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 08-31-2004).]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 08/31/04 04:41 PM
You can't concentrate too much on "redundant ground". That could just be two green wires.
The fact is 517 says one of these grounds will be the "metal" wiring method itself.

517.13 Grounding of Receptacles and Fixed Electric Equipment in Patient Care Areas.
Wiring in patient care areas shall comply with 517.13(A) and (B).
(A) Wiring Methods. All branch circuits serving patient care areas shall be provided with a ground path for fault current by installation in a metal raceway system, or a cable armor or sheath assembly. The metal raceway system, or cable armor, or sheath assembly, shall itself qualify as an equipment grounding return path in accordance with 250.118. Type AC, Type MC, Type MI cables shall have an outer metal armor or sheath that is identified as an acceptable grounding return path.
(B) Insulated Equipment Grounding Conductor...

Sort of eliminates any plastic wiring method huh?
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 08/31/04 11:03 PM
Is it allowed in non patient areas? 517-10.
Posted By: Roger Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 09/01/04 12:03 AM
Trekkie, yes it is allowed in "Non Patient Care Areas" specifically per 517-12, which would also allow NM or any other wiring method in chapter 3.

Out of curiosity, is your area still under an NEC cycle pre 2002?

Roger
Posted By: zapped208 Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 09/01/04 12:44 AM
Guys, I was meaning non patient care areas too mustang's post.
I have pulled my share of HCF/M/C cable.
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 09/01/04 08:15 PM
Roger, we are on 2002 NEC up here in the sticks
Posted By: Roger Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 09/01/04 10:23 PM
Trekkie, the reason I asked was your use of a Dash verses a Dot in your article and section references.

In the 99 NEC, HCFC was actualy allowed for Emergency Branch Circuits, this was probably by accident or bad wording in 517-30(c)(3)

Roger
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 09/01/04 10:50 PM
oh. Just a force of habit I guess [Linked Image]
Posted By: harold endean Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 09/08/04 05:43 PM
Let's add a few ingredients to this post and see what happens.

Can you run ENT in a Nursing Home?

What about PVC wiring the goes in the concrete slab? Must it be EMT pipe? The double green wire grounding doesn't count as "redundant"?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 09/08/04 05:57 PM
In patient care areas they specify a metal wiring method suitable for grounding with a redundant ground wire. No plastic. Other places don't require redundant ground as far as I know. The acceptibility of the wiring method will be up to the other articles in the code.
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: ENT ALLOWED in MEDICAL FACILITY? - 09/08/04 10:05 PM
nursing home is listed in the def. of a health care facility. The same rules apply, chap. 3 wiring methods in non-patient care areas, insulated EGC in metal raceways in patient care areas
© ECN Electrical Forums