ECN Forum
Posted By: shortcircuit floor plug - 08/20/04 01:40 AM
Customer wants a floor plug in the middle of the family room,but it is a concrete slab.Is there any other way to install a plug other than cutting a 3 inch deep channel in the concrete for ridged conduit? There will be carpet over the concrete.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: floor plug - 08/20/04 02:02 AM
Shortcircuit:
Unfortunately, Not really.

IF the floor is going to be covered with carpet tiles (max 36"x36" tiles), and you can call it "commercial".....there is a system made by Pirelli Cable & Hubbel, flat carpet cable ("FCC" in NEC)

It's use is limited to carpet tiles and comm.

BTW, it's not cheap either.

John
Posted By: e57 Re: floor plug - 08/20/04 06:37 AM
A 1" deep channel, you don't have to go that deep with RMC. 390.2A Or, a very well trained rat or gopher!

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 08-20-2004).]
Posted By: earlydean Re: floor plug - 08/20/04 12:08 PM
Hey, it is all T and M. Hire a sub-contractor to cut the channel, another to patch the concrete, add 10% "handling charge" and laugh all the way to the bank.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: floor plug - 08/20/04 04:41 PM
I jetted a PVC 19' under my garage floor with a garden hose and hit a 1' hole in the floor (Florida sand). What kind of "dirt" do you have?
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: floor plug - 08/20/04 08:58 PM
gfretwell...good idea with the garden hose..I'll metion it , but there is a lot of gravel up here in Mass!
shortcircuit
Posted By: Reel-Break Re: floor plug - 08/25/04 04:50 PM
Yea I tried the washer with a garden hose under a drive way last year.Worked good until 6 months later they called me back seems I created a void under the asfault that collasped later.Guess conrete wouldn`t have the same problem??Most times it has wire supportor rebar.
PS after I fixed the dip they had a speed bump(lol)
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: floor plug - 08/27/04 12:14 AM
I was told that the owner found someone to just channel deep enough to lay 14-2 UF in the concrete floor and then they went over it with carpet.
I try to do it by the book and some hack ends up with the job.
© ECN Electrical Forums