ECN Forum
Posted By: Electric Ian Downstream GFCI protection - 07/22/04 12:46 AM
Is there a limit on the number of receptacles that can be protected downstream of each GFCI receptacle?
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Downstream GFCI protection - 07/22/04 01:01 AM
Well in commercial work you are restricted to the number of outlets that can be installed on a 15 or 20 amp branch circuit, each outlet counts as 180 voltamps. In residential there is no limit except for the 3 watts per square foot. Each branch circuit should be of sufficient size to carry the load to be served.
Posted By: Electric Ian Re: Downstream GFCI protection - 07/22/04 01:21 AM
Yes, that's my understanding but a friend of mine got a "homeowners wiring guide" from the big orange house and he showed me a passage stating that a GFCI receptacle can only protect 4 additional downstream receptacles. I never heard this before and was just wondering if there was a code requirement I missed somewhere along the way.
Posted By: stamcon Re: Downstream GFCI protection - 07/22/04 01:45 AM
(Residential)It's not a code issue, other than if it's in the manufacturer's instructions. I use to think there was a limit of 6 downstream receptacles, but the NEC doesn't state this nor have I found anything in any GFI manufacturer's instructions limiting the downstream number.

steve
Posted By: e57 Re: Downstream GFCI protection - 07/22/04 11:08 PM
One must check the destructions...
Some are 4, some are 5.

Oyr local code is 5!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Downstream GFCI protection - 07/23/04 01:14 AM
I can't imagine what the justification could possibly be for a limit on the number of downstream receptacles. In the commercial world you have a restriction on the total number on a branch circuit (the 180va deal) but that doesn't address whether they are upstream or downstream of a GFCI. Beyond that it only depends on the feedthrough ampacity of the GFCI. You can exceed that with one duplex as easily as 10. (2 hair dryers or toasters?)
The only other thing I can possibly think of is the "antenna effect" of a long conductor (false trips) but again, that can just be one receptacle way out in the yard.
Posted By: electure Re: Downstream GFCI protection - 07/23/04 03:24 AM
e57,

How can that be a local code? Amendments like that aren't supposed to be allowed to the CEC by municipalities. ??
Posted By: e57 Re: Downstream GFCI protection - 07/23/04 08:29 AM
electure,
can't find it now... They may have pulled it?

Although they still ask, "No More than five?" - "Yep, no more than five" (On feed thrus) I was asked that two weeks ago.

SF did have to go to court over some of thier wackier codes, that went far beyond the rest of the state. After you check the NEC, you have to go check here to see what they might have added or changed.
http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isap...nfran.nfo&softpage=browse_frame_pg42
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: Downstream GFCI protection - 07/24/04 10:22 PM
I have always found that 5 was the magic number for D.S. anymore than that and I had a lot of nuisance tripping.
© ECN Electrical Forums