ECN Forum
Posted By: skingusmc NM (Romex) - 06/10/04 10:31 PM
This is the situation:

HO wants an additional outside montion sensor light installed.

The current circuit has 2 outlets (one on the ceiling for the garage door opener and one on the wall [not GFCI, told HO about this requirement] and a dual bulb motion sensor light (has the newer fluorescent energy saver bulbs). This is a 15A circuit.

I want to tie into the current montion sensor light fixture and run conduit approx. 18' to the other side of garage door frame to the new motion sensor light.

The HO has some Romex (NM-B 14-2) that he wants me to run through the conduit.

Is this ok? I have never considered running NM through conduit, looked through the 2002 NEC Handbook, but didn't see anything about this situation.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks
Steve
Posted By: George Re: NM (Romex) - 06/11/04 01:32 AM
18' of wire seems a small issue for taking so much time to decide.

Yes, you can. I strip off the sheath for short runs. 40% fill kicks the size of conduit up if you leave the sheath on.
Posted By: caselec Re: NM (Romex) - 06/11/04 02:30 AM
It sounds like this conduit is going to be on the exterior, if so this would be a wet or damp location. Type NM cable is only to be used in dry locations. Also the conductors in type NM cable are not marked with their type and not approved for individual use in a raceway.

Curt
Posted By: skingusmc Re: NM (Romex) - 06/11/04 04:22 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I was (and will) going to run 14 guage THHN and be done with it.

Stripping down the NM is not a good use of my time (grin), and will not happen by me.

The HO just wanted to save an extra couple $$.

Steve
Posted By: earlydean Re: NM (Romex) - 06/11/04 05:55 PM
Outside is a wet location, the wire should be THWN. Most building wire has multiple ratings, so this may not be an issue.
Posted By: DougW Re: NM (Romex) - 06/14/04 11:08 PM
Unless it's needed for physical protection... why bother?

Run THHN/THWN and be done with it.
© ECN Electrical Forums