ECN Forum
Posted By: Larry Roman Industrial Electrican - 05/28/04 10:26 PM
Is industrial manufacturing exempt from the N.E.C.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Industrial Electrican - 05/28/04 10:36 PM
Why do you ask this question?

Texas is in the USA, and it is my understanding that Texas uses the NEC.

I would say that it does, but I cannot be sure of what edition you would be under.

Is the facility a Chapter 5 special occupancy, or a other location where products are manufactured.

You do use UL or other labeled equipment.

This will be an interesting subject, and I am sure the rest of the members will enjoy hearing your story.

PS: Someone said that the NEC is available for Free in Texas, is that true?
Posted By: Larry Roman Re: Industrial Electrican - 05/28/04 10:51 PM
" why do you ask this question"
I work for a gas compressor manufacture and have asked many times about complying. Iv'e been told it dose not apply to them.
Posted By: Larry Roman Re: Industrial Electrican - 05/28/04 10:57 PM
I am now in trouble and have been told not to mention it agin.I guess I want to prove a point and need a starting point.
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Industrial Electrican - 05/29/04 02:37 AM
I wish to assure Joe that, while some Texans support the independant Republic philosophy and many others feel the Red River is a more problematic source of infiltration than the Rio Grande; Texas does abide by the NEC and , in fact, has just established a state wide electrical licensing law.
Posted By: Larry Roman Re: Industrial Electrican - 05/29/04 03:30 AM
Where can I find out more about the new law
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Industrial Electrican - 05/29/04 10:25 AM
http://www.license.state.tx.us/electricians/elec.htm
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Industrial Electrican - 05/29/04 11:04 AM
Thanks Wolfdog, I was aware of the new requirements for licensed electricians. I lived in Dallas for about two years when I worked in Richardson.

Is it true that Texas may be able to get the NEC for free over the Internet?
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Industrial Electrican - 05/30/04 03:03 AM
I have not heard of that nor have I read anything about it on the above listed web site.

I have already received my Master license from the state and so far, no one is giving anything away.
Posted By: Larry Roman Re: Industrial Electrican - 05/30/04 01:12 PM
Hey wolfdog, thank's for the link
Posted By: DougW Re: Industrial Electrican - 05/30/04 02:21 PM
Larry - welcome to ECN!

If you get too much flak, you could "accidentally" mention the claimed "exemption" to your employer's insurance carrier, or the AHJ.

Of course, after that, it might be your "former" employer, so a little discretion might be called for [Linked Image]

Good luck with your situation.
Posted By: Larry Roman Re: Industrial Electrican - 05/31/04 04:43 AM
OK,according to the state of Texas, I do not need a license. But does this mean the N.E.C. does not apply
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Industrial Electrican - 05/31/04 06:07 AM
2002 NEC
90.2 Scope. (A) Covered. This code covers the installation of electric conductors, electric equiptment, signaling and communications conductors and equiptment, and fiber optic cables and raceways for the following:

(1) Public and private premises, including buildings, structures, mobile homes, recreational vehicles, and floating buildings.
(2) Yards, lots, parking lots, carnivals, and industrial substations

(FPN: For additional information concerning such installations in an industrial or multibuilding complex, see the ANSI C2-1997, National Electrical Safety Code

(3) Installation of conductors and equiptment that connect to the supply of electricity.
(4) Installations used by the electric utility, such as office buildings, warehouses, garages, machine shops, and recreational buildings, that are not an integral part of a generating plant, substation, or control center

Not Covered This code does not cover the following:

(1) Installations in ships, watercraft other than floating buildings, railway rolling stock, aircraft, or automotive vehicles other than mobile homes and recreational vehicles.
(2) Installations under ground in mines and self-propelled mobile surface mining machinery and its attendant electrical trailing cable.
(3) Installation of railways for generation, transfomation, transmission, or distribution of power used exculsively for operation of rolling stock or installations used exclusively for signaling and communicative purposes.
(4) Installation of communications equiptment under the exclusive control of communication utilitieslocated outdoors or in a building space used exclusively for such installations.
(5) Installations under the exclusive control of an electric utility where such installaions
a. Consist or service drops or service laterals, and associated metering, or
b. Are located in legally established easements, rights-of-way, or by other agreements either designated by or recognized by public service commisions, or other regulatory agencies having jurisdiction for such installations, or
c. Are on property owned or leased by the electric utility for the purpose of communications, metering, generation, control, transformation, transmission, or distribution of electrical energy.

Larry, from what you've described... The establishement you speak of seems to fall under 90.2(A)(1).... I would say yes....But JMHO [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Industrial Electrican - 06/06/04 07:20 PM
I think we're looking at the matter of scope.
In an industrial setting, the point where the electrical circuit ends and the appliance begins isn't always so easy to define- especially when several machines are interconnected.
There are other authorities to look to. OSHA has jurisdiction, assuming the firm is "large enough to affect interstate commerce."
Much industrial equipment is custom-made for a particular process. The equipment manufacturer has a very large say in what should be, and often the info is available on the web.
Even where there are "exempt" areas (utilities and mines, for example), there are other standards that can be referenced. Often present management with copies of the appropriate standard will be enough to make them see the light.
© ECN Electrical Forums