ECN Forum
Posted By: coulomb Underground Wiring - 05/04/04 05:35 PM
I would like to install underground wiring along a long curved driveway for very low profile light fixtures (path lighting). I don't want to stub up PVC 90 degree ells into above ground junction boxes. Can PVC
"T" fittings be buried and used as junction
boxes? What are my code approved options here? The driveway is 250 feet long and the fixtures will be 25 feet apart. Thanks!
Posted By: iwire Re: Underground Wiring - 05/04/04 06:25 PM
You really can not bury J-boxes or conduit bodys ("T"s)

314.29 Boxes and Conduit Bodies to Be Accessible.
Boxes and conduit bodies shall be installed so that the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building or, in underground circuits, without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to be used to establish the finished grade.

Exception: Listed boxes shall be permitted where covered by gravel, light aggregate, or noncohesive granulated soil if their location is effectively identified and accessible for excavation.

The exception gives you a little leeway , but the box will have to be listed for direct burial.
Posted By: Tom Re: Underground Wiring - 05/04/04 08:59 PM
That is darn little leeway, I can only think of one type of box that is listed for being installed in the ground & it is large & expensive.

How about Type UF cable? UF could be run up a post. There is a non-metallic post on the market that will conceal the cable where it comes up and the fixture can attach right to the post & it is available in a fairly low profile.

Tom
© ECN Electrical Forums