ECN Forum
Anything in the code that would forbid mounting switches sideways instead of vertically? For a single switch this would be confusing to a user (which way is on?) but for a 2 way switch, either direction could turn the lights on, this wouldn't be an issue. I've never seen it done, but was wondering if the code says anything about this.
No problem with a sideways switch. They sell double and triple switches on a single yoke and they are horizontal.

[This message has been edited by stamcon (edited 04-03-2004).]
What is a two-way switch?
on and off [Linked Image]
A two way switch is what folks in the UK call a single pole double throw switch that has no off position. They are called three way switches in US practice.
--
Tom H
Yep, just like the second floor of a building is called the first floor over here.

Just put it down to the fact that we can't count! [Linked Image]
No problem with a sideways switch. They sell double and triple switches on a single yoke and they are horizontal.

It looks like I could mount such a double switch so the handles go up and down instead of horizontal. Up for "on".

A two way switch is what folks in the UK call a single pole double throw switch that has no off position. They are called three way switches in US practice.

looks like I was off in my count by one. :-) Should have said "3 way" and "4 way". Are these number really counting the number of terminals on the switches?

============================================
I'm having roast rabbit for Easter [Linked Image]
So paul, what's the american first floor called in the UK?
So paul, what's the american first floor called in the UK?
Just called the ground floor, i.e.

USA -- UK
1st = Ground
2nd = 1st
3rd = 2nd
4th = 3rd
etc.

All very confusing for jeg-lagged American tourists in London hotels who get into the elevator ("lift") next morning and press "1" expecting to come out in the lobby and instead find themselves still one floor too high. It's probably just as confusing for British tourists searching in vain for a "G" button in a U.S. elevator if they don't realize the difference.
Probably even more frustrating when they do find a "G" and it puts them in the underground garage.
© ECN Electrical Forums