ECN Forum
Hi,
Just took a masters test today for Arkansas and there was a question on the test that I couldn't find the answer to and was not sure about. Please read the following question and see if you recognize this article.

"Which of the following if made from an Insulating material shall not require a box for exposed wiring:

A)Switch
B)Receptacle
C)Tap
D)Wire Nut

I was not even sure where to look for this one. I guessed "TAP".

By the way, I scored 82%. 60 questions, three hours open book. 2002 code.

Thanks for any replies.

Mustang
Posted By: Tom Re: Maters Test Question "Exposed Wiring" - 04/01/04 12:27 AM
I presume that that was a passing score, congratulations!

That question looks like it came from a licensing test in WV. The State Fire Marshall asks questions about the code that most electricians will never encounter.

Seems to me there used to be some surface mounted receptacles & switches for romex wiring. Thats my vote.

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 03-31-2004).]
Hi,
The test was given by Experior. The test was given on a computer and I got my score immediately after I finished. It was the first computerized electrical exam I ever took. It was pretty good other than the person next to me was taking what seemed like a typing test because about 20 minutes into it I had to put on a pair of ear muffs because she was going at the keyboard like a blind dog in a meat house!

The test was actually pretty hard. A lot of calculations and a lot of new stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

Mustang
Hi,
I selected TAP because I have installed and seen INSULATED mechanical connectors that can be used for connecting temporaries or taps. they are used a lot on services and line work.

Mustang
Hi,
One other thought I had was I have seen wire nuts being used outdoors to connect light fixtures. I would expect that a wire nut would have to be approved for such use.

Wire nuts outside a box for branch circuits to detached garages and outbuildings?

??????????

Mustang
Posted By: Roger Re: Maters Test Question "Exposed Wiring" - 04/01/04 01:15 AM
Mustangelectric, there is more than one correct answer in the choices, see 334.40(B)

Roger
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. It looks as if you have found the correct article. That would be under Boxes "Non-metallic", in the index I believe.

I was looking in the installation chapter (3) but never found the correct article.

I think I got one of the choices right.

I am still not sure I am familiar with these types of assemblies.

Thanks for your reply.

Mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 03-31-2004).]
Posted By: DougW Re: Maters Test Question "Exposed Wiring" - 04/01/04 07:16 PM
I would think that switch, or receptacle are both potentially correct answers.

Of course, properly insulated taps could work too.

NEVER a wire nut outside a box, unless listed for direct burial...but then it wouldn;t be EXPOSED, now would it?

BTW, if you've got a copy of the American Electrician's Handbook handy, check out page 4.9, figure 4.10, which shows an illustration of a rotary snap switch: surface mounting type.

Also in that book on page 4.26 are figures 4.43, showing surface wiring switches (tumbler and rotary), and receptacles for exposed NM work.

Pages are for the 13th edition.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Maters Test Question "Exposed Wiring" - 04/02/04 12:05 AM
Exposed wiring also includes low voltage. A wire nut would certainly not require a box.

This is the kind of stupid trick question where there is no wrong answer except in the person's mind who wrote it. If my passing or failing fell on getting questions like this right I would contest it.

-Hal
334.40B allows switches, outlets and taps of insultaing material to be used without a box for exposed wiring. Thus the question contains 3 correct answers. Considering the test should always only have one correct answer, is it possible the question read:
"Which of the following if made from an Insulating material SHALL require a box for exposed wiring:
In this case only wirenut would be the correct answer.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Maters Test Question "Exposed Wiring" - 04/04/04 02:47 AM
527.4(G) permits wirenuts to be used without boxes. My experience with students who relay the questions after a test is they do not remember the whole question and leave out valuable info.
Congrats on passing your license test!!

Pierre
Posted By: JG Re: Maters Test Question "Exposed Wiring" - 04/05/04 12:40 AM
A recepticle: 300.15 F 300.15 E [SCD devices]
Mobile homes and RV usage.
© ECN Electrical Forums