ECN Forum
Posted By: mustangelectric Grounding Electrode Conductor - 03/22/04 08:59 PM
Hi,
Shouldn't the CW ground be run from the CW main to the FIRST SED? I have a 200A Main CSED (#6 solid to ground rod) with 8 spaces that feeds a 200A sub in a basement. The CW ground is a #4 solid and is connected at the CSED. The EGC is a #6 solid that runs from the CSED to the 200A sub with no bonding screw. The 200A sub feeds a 100A sub with a #6 solid EGC and no bonding screw, from the 200A sub panel.

I am asking due to the CSED with 8 spaces.

Thanks for any comments.

Mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 03-22-2004).]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Grounding Electrode Conductor - 03/23/04 02:27 PM
Hello mustangelectric, and welcome.

Could you please elaborate on your abbreviations, such as SED and CSED? I hate would give you an improper answer due to my misunderstanding your terminology. Thanks.
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: Grounding Electrode Conductor - 03/23/04 04:40 PM
Hi,
In regards to the abbreviations in my initial post. SED (SERVICE ENTRANCE DEVICE) CSED (COMBINATION SERVICE ENTRANCE DEVICE)

CW (COLD WATER)

Hope that helps.

-regards

Mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 03-23-2004).]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Grounding Electrode Conductor - 03/23/04 05:59 PM
Grounding electrode conductors must go from the electrode (water pipe in your case) to the service equipment. Read the definition of service equipment and you will find that it is basically a breaker or set of breakers (not more than 6) that are used to shut down the building. Everything after that is "other than service equipment", and no the grounding electrode conductor should not be landed there.

The service equipment is kind of "bullseye" where all grounding and bonding come together. Nuetrals, equipment grounds, bonding jumpers, grounding electrode conductors an dmain bonding jumpers shall be bonded together as one at this location. Anything after the service disconnect requires isolation of the nuetral.

Does this answer your question or did I just ramble?
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: Grounding Electrode Conductor - 03/23/04 06:08 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that confirms my post.

I always like to get a second opinion if I am not 100% sure and especially before I go to pulling wire.

Sincerely,

Mustang
© ECN Electrical Forums