ECN Forum
Posted By: bwise121 Sidding/Stucco Issue with Inspector - 03/05/04 03:09 AM
Recently in Sacramento CA, I did a 200 Amp residential panel upgrade. When I removed the old Zinsco panel there was old vinyl siding behind it. Apparently years back the owner had stuccoed the house over the sidding. So, perhaps not thinking, I filled the gap with plywood and put the panel over it. Since then the owner has filled some stucco gaps around the panel.

Here is the problem, the inspector says that we have to stucco behind the panel, get the lathe inspection, etc. Obviously, from the pictures below you can see this will be a chore. I'm know codes vary from state to state, etc. But does anyone know of a work-around? Or, because of the existing vinyl siding are we okay?

Thanks,
Byron
Posted By: bwise121 Re: Sidding/Stucco Issue with Inspector - 03/05/04 03:10 AM
http://www.declareit.com/images/before.jpg http://www.declareit.com/images/after.jpg
Posted By: earlydean Re: Sidding/Stucco Issue with Inspector - 03/05/04 12:14 PM
Your inspector is woried about water entering the building through the opening you made when the old panel was removed. This could peel the stucco off the old vinyl siding, and maybe enter the building through some covered opening in the old siding.
I would suggest 6 inch sheets of flashing around the new panel, sealed to panel and the old stucco to make a water-tight installation.

Earl
Posted By: Reel-Break Re: Sidding/Stucco Issue with Inspector - 03/09/04 02:10 PM
110.12 The piping in the bottom of the box doesn`t look good strap hanging.I would have come straight into the panel whats with the 45`s seems as though the lock nuts wouldn`t be properly flush on the panel? Also flex not secured. Send us a completed picture.Sorry but you ask.And I would have made sure behind the panel and around it was fixed to keep water from entering the home.If you would have at least fixed around the panel even for cosmetic reasons you would have probably passed with no problems.My dad always told me "by the work one knows the worker"
Posted By: bwise121 Re: Sidding/Stucco Issue with Inspector - 03/09/04 03:08 PM
The after picture you see is actually a "work in progress" pic. It was getting dark and I decided to take a picture.

The existing wiring that had to be retro-fit required the 45's.

"And I would have made sure behind the panel and around it was fixed to keep water from entering the home." - I thought the original vinyl would do that.

"by the work one knows the worker" - Ugh! No comment.
Posted By: u2slow Re: Sidding/Stucco Issue with Inspector - 03/10/04 04:53 AM
Im my youth I worked as a labourer for a stucco outfit. On new homes, the meter base would already be installed - hopefully with a chunk or tar-paper or Tyvek behind it. We'd put J-bead on around the meter base, vapour-barrier & mesh, stucco, and then fill the <1/16" gap with caulk afterwards. Nobody ever moved a meterbase for us to stucco behind.

Perhaps see what they do on new stuccoed homes in your area.
Posted By: tdhorne Re: Sidding/Stucco Issue with Inspector - 04/04/04 04:39 AM
Is that meter mains assembly meant to have load conductors running through the upper compartment is that compartment accessible once the meter has been sealed? Most utilities will not supply a meter mains assembly with load conductors through the meter base portion of the cabinet.
--
Tom H
© ECN Electrical Forums