ECN Forum
Posted By: rm85 AFCI on lights - 01/13/04 07:27 PM
I just finished wiring my house. I have wired all receps and lights in bedrooms on afci. Someone has told me it is against code to have lights on afci. I know the lights may cause false trips, but the walls are already closed and I do not want to run more lines if I dont have to. I live in New York if that matters. Thanks for any help.
rm
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: AFCI on lights - 01/13/04 07:36 PM
rm,

It is not against code to have your lights on an AFCI. AFCIs are not required in NY at this time, but if they were the Bedroom lights would have to be on them.

Bill
(also in NY)
Posted By: sparky Re: AFCI on lights - 01/13/04 08:32 PM
the afci?

how can you go wrong rm85 ?

CMP-2 holds it near divinity

~S~
Posted By: earlydean Re: AFCI on lights - 01/14/04 07:23 PM
Prediction for the future:
Future editions of the NEC will increase the coverage of the AFCI, until every branch circuit in every building will be AFCI protected.
We will see sprinklers required in single family homes.
Romex will be allowed in all construction methods, but will have a non-combustible/non-smoke outer covering.
Posted By: DGT Re: AFCI on lights - 01/14/04 08:01 PM
In "Trawna" and according to OHEPC, the code requires among other things the use of AFCI protection for all bed rooms wired (with a permit can you imagine) after January 2003.

There are lots of other little niceties such as a receptacle every so many meters (feet) and GFCI protect outdoor circuits and on and on.

Makes me want to get back into contracting. The code book is the best reference for building a business given all the faulty or near faulty installations that I have read about in other sections of this forum.

Doug....et al
© ECN Electrical Forums