3. [Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

4. [Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

5. [Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

6. [Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

7. [Linked Image from joetedesco.com]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 12/21/03 05:05 PM
1.MC connector,..can also be used w/ AC cable
2.AC/MC "snap-in" connector..no lock nut
3."Flex" connector..for Greenfield ..3/4" and above..
4.Steel AC connector,to be used only on STEEL AC cable.
5.Set screw type EMT connector
6.Duplex AC/MC "snap-in" connector
7.Inside thread Greenfield connector,..seen on lighting whips and in recessed lighting whips...
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 12/21/03 05:33 PM
Are you sure about 5.?
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 12/21/03 06:21 PM
#5's a greenfield connector. The setscrew's angled to keep the greenfield from pulling out.

[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 12-21-2003).]
Posted By: sparky Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 12/21/03 07:11 PM
never have seen #5 there, i would think that one could crush flex easy with a ss...
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 12/21/03 09:41 PM
The set screw flex connector in #5 is the most common one I see. The inner ring suburbs here that were built under the local "all metal" code have this connector on 99% of the flex run.

The screw tightens down into a valley between the corrugations of the flex, forming a burr that prevents the flex from sliding out.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 12/22/03 12:53 AM
I'd never seen that type of Greenfield connector...from the pic, it looked like an EMT conn. ....??? oops!!!.... is that a Bridgeport???

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 12-21-2003).]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 12/22/03 12:58 AM
..Do you still have to use an "anti-short" bushing with #7..? and if so,...how???
Posted By: JCooper Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 12/22/03 03:24 AM
I would think that you don't need a redhead on #7 because there is no sharp edge, the connector threads inside the greenfield.
Posted By: nesparky Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 12/22/03 04:49 AM
I use a lot of #3 for 1/2" greenfield. I have #3, 5 and 7 on my truck in both 1/2" and 3/4" now. It just depends on which supply house I got greenfield connectors from. You do not need a red hat with any of 3,5,7.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 12/22/03 05:14 PM
Can #3 be used for AC or MC cable and if not, why not?

I'm imagining it's because there's nothing to hold the anti-short bushing into place and protect the conductors from sharp edges?
Posted By: Steve T Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 12/22/03 08:31 PM
Number one is a saddle type. I like these the best but rarely see them.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 12/24/03 04:58 PM
Number one is a saddle type. I like these the best but rarely see them.
..Thats the only one I use,I believe it's listed for use in AC as well as MC..My supply house (Cooper Electric Supply) carries Bridgeport brand...it's a good connector...
Posted By: electure Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 12/28/03 01:47 PM
#3 Is a squeeze type flexible metal conduit connector, Sven.

The inside fit #7 FMC connector is about the only one that I see used up to about 2".
Larger sizes usually have the #3 style.
I've not seen the #5 setscrew style (or the T&B "Tightbite") in common use for a long time...S
Posted By: Batch Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 02/02/04 04:00 AM
#7 is a 1/2" flex connector. Not a 1/2" greenfield connector. It is suitable for termination of liquid-tite flexible metalic conduit where the liquidtite does not terminate in a wet location.

We use these in the sign industyr all the time when we mount channel letters flush to the wall. It is listed for bonding our letters and with the application of silicone sealant around the connector and penetrations has yet to fail a challenge by any electrical inspector. Though it has been challenged several times.

It has always been on a listing for grounding or bonding issue. Which it easily passes in the 1/2" use...
Posted By: Batch Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 02/02/04 04:07 AM
#7 is a 1/2" flex connector. Not a 1/2" greenfield connector. It is suitable for termination of liquid-tite flexible metalic conduit where the liquidtite does not terminate in a wet location.

We use these in the sign industyr all the time when we mount channel letters flush to the wall. It is listed for bonding our letters and with the application of silicone sealant around the connector and penetrations has yet to fail a challenge by any electrical inspector. Though it has been challenged several times.

It has always been on a listing for grounding or bonding issue. Which it easily passes in the 1/2" use...
Posted By: DougW Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 02/03/04 02:36 PM
According to Thomas & Betts, #7 is an "Uninsulated screw in connector for types AC & Flex".

If they've been working in LFMC, good for ya, but the catalog listing isn't for that application.
Posted By: stamcon Re: What, Where , When, and How? - 02/04/04 03:09 AM
Batch, "greenfield" is a slang term for "flex" ( which is slang for Flexible Metal Conduit ).

steve

[This message has been edited by stamcon (edited 02-03-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums