ECN Forum
Posted By: Attic Rat Hazardous Location!!! - 12/19/03 04:24 AM
..I was approached by a gas station owner,to bring power and a phoneline out to the dispensing island for a credit card reader....I know theres a light post there with a conduit that runs into the garage..with an E-Y attached to it...the question is..how do I go about getting a receptacle out there, and I know I can't run phone line with power in the same conduit...can I put a receptacle out there,as long as it's more than 18" off the ground,therefore not in the hazardous zone??and does it have to be in an explosion-proof enclosure?? and what about the phone line...tell him he's outta luck??? or can it be done overhead?? with at least 15' of clearance???....HELP!!!!

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 12-18-2003).]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 12/19/03 02:17 PM
..Come on you guys, I need some ideas...otherwise I'll probably just "kick" the job...it seems too complicated!!
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 12/19/03 02:52 PM
I'm pretty weak on hazardous locations, but I'll give it a shot.

In table 514.3(B)(1)it will tell you what class and division you are in. I think you will be a class 1 division 2.

501.5(B)(2)talks about entering and leaving the boundaries of the classified location. You will need to seal your pipes, unless you meet the exceptions.

I'm hoping someone else will chime in here...
Posted By: nesparky Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 12/20/03 07:44 AM
From your description, I would suggest a new trench for the conduits. You will need 2, 1 for power and 1 for phone. Overhead may be cheaper but that is subject to vehicle and weather problems.
This could be a expensive job in an existing gas station.

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 12-20-2003).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 12/20/03 12:14 PM
With my limited knowledge of this type of work, which seems to be your situation, I would walk away from this job.

The only time I do this kind of work is from engineered plans, in that way I can be sure I am not creating a hazardous condition.

Just because I have a license does not make me qualified to do everything. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: sparky Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 12/20/03 04:31 PM
is there a veder root or similar system installed there?
Posted By: walrus Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 12/20/03 05:18 PM
Not sure I understand the question. What kind of card reader??. Is going to control pumps or is it just a machine so he can swipe cards outside??.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 12/20/03 07:51 PM
I’ll side with iwire with regard engineered drawings. There are other Article-514 dimensions that must be applied.

Although “low-voltage” in character, POTS/dialtone pairs are not considered intrinsically safe by any code that I know of.
Posted By: walrus Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 12/20/03 08:03 PM
Their isn't but a handful of gas station in Maine that have been built to an engineers drawing. Maybe a Sams Club or Wal Mart have plans but thats about it.
Posted By: iwire Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 12/20/03 08:45 PM
Walrus I was talking for myself and others that are not experienced in doing this sort of work.

You and electure are a couple of guys that can do this in their sleep.

My main point was if you are not experienced in this work you should not do it with out some help from people that have. [Linked Image]
Posted By: walrus Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 12/20/03 09:26 PM
Iwire
I see your point. I get asked to do other stuff and I generally turn it down as I really don't know much about anything beyond what I do. I've been thinking about working with a buddy of mine who does a variety of things. Motor controls is an area that I'd like to experience some, seems like a ton of stuff to learn which to me makes it fun.
Its good to know your limitations, must come with age [Linked Image]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 12/21/03 01:23 AM
..Not sure I understand the question. What kind of card reader??. Is going to control pumps or is it just a machine so he can swipe cards outside??
Yes, basically,it's for a credit card swipe reader...and I agree with all of you..esp. Bob,..I'm licenced, but that stuff is over my head...I gotta remember..I can't take every job that comes down the pike...Thanx guys, I do appreciate the feedback!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 12-20-2003).]
Posted By: rizer Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 01/10/04 10:51 AM
attic rat:
my guess would be that you absolutely cannot put "a receptacle" on a gas station island. if device plugged in is pulled out under load the spark will have an explosive effect.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 01/10/04 06:56 PM
Look at Table 514.3(B)(1). If the receptacle and card reader are outside of the classified areas they can be installed. If the conduits to the recepacle and card reader pass through the classifed area, then bondary seals will be required. This would require that both conduits have seals at the island as well as at the building.
Don
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 01/10/04 08:09 PM
Thanks for jumping in Don. It looks like I was on the right track, but I sure wanted someone to confirm it.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Hazardous Location!!! - 01/18/04 06:09 PM
1. Forget about any kind of receptacle at the pumps. Hardwire the reader.
2. The reader MUST be classified for Class C&D.
3. Ditto for the phone/data line.
4. Cat 5 willprobably be the minimum data quality required.
5. Don't be afraid to say "that's over my head."
6. Don't be impressed by anyone's supposed credentials- especially engineers, or those who want to use "logic;" most issues were decided decades ago, and you must understand the context to make the right decisions. This you can get only from extended experience in the field, with a firm that cares.
© ECN Electrical Forums