ECN Forum
Called a "London Box" these main disconnects are still in use in the Boston area. I am looking for any information, or instructions on their use. I imagine that they were installed in the early 1900's per the NEC?

[Linked Image]
Do new houses in Boston also use these, albeit with modern-day components?

It looks like a good idea if the house needs a drastic rewiring inside or for firemen to cut electricity to the building that's burning up.
Sven:

Most are removed and replaced with new equipment, and when a new building is supplied with a new electrical service lateral, they don't use this type of equipment anymore.

Many buildings here are remodeled, and the service "end box" is where these old wires usually land before the metering.

You can search on NSTAR the electric utility here and see what their rules state about these disconnects.
http://www.nstaronline.com/

I am looking for information on these "old mains" and will appreciate hearing from anyone who has more information on them.

I have more images and will post them here soon.
[Linked Image]

Located in Cambridge, MA. I believe that this is still in use for stores on Massachusetts avenue?
Interesting looking stuff here Joe!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Hey!!! Is 110.12(C) violated when equipment is spray painted with graffiti? [Linked Image]

Wow ,I find it hard to believe that this stuff is still in use, and without covers! [Linked Image] Doesn't the inspectors in the area have any say so on this?
Does that breaker in the top say Noark? As in Federal Pacific? I wonder how it lasted this long...
© ECN Electrical Forums