ECN Forum
Posted By: Rabbit Outdoor Disconnect - 11/08/03 11:09 PM
Is it a violation to bring a raceway into the side of an outdoor disc. above the fuses? If it is I can't find it, and have never been failed for doing it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/08/03 11:13 PM
It should be fine if you are using sealing locknuts to maintain the integrity of the NEMA 3R enclosure rating.
Posted By: Rabbit Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/08/03 11:34 PM
Yes I agree. Had a little disagreement with a coworker regarding this. He claims it is the reason manufactuers don't supply KO's in this location.
Posted By: Roger Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/08/03 11:37 PM
Hey Rabbit, I agree with Ryan with a foot note. Some manufacturers will leave you hanging due to their listing info regardless of the entrance fittings.

I have never been tagged for this.

How was the antique tractor show? I ended up working on a MG set that weekend and the next. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/08/03 11:51 PM
I think the "thats why theres no KO's" is a pretty cheesy argument.

What about a typical indoor 42 circuit can that has no KO's? Does he say that you can't punch it out? Of course you can.

[This message has been edited by Ryan_J (edited 11-08-2003).]
Posted By: gserve Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/08/03 11:52 PM
Ryan J. , I have never heard of a sealing locknut. Could you reference a code article and maybe a link to a picture of one? Also are these required for type 3R enclosures?
Posted By: Rabbit Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/09/03 12:06 AM
Hey Roger,

Danged if I know I wound up working too. I had built a service for a manufacturd building (spelled double-wide) and when the AHJ came to look at my service he wouldn't accept the NM inside. This is being used for a pharmacy. The owner freaked and I wound up Jerking MC all day Saturday. There's always next year.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/09/03 12:06 AM
This is a sealing locknut:
[Linked Image from iguana18.securesites.com]

I'm looking for the code right now....I think 110.3(B) might apply, but there is an article that states something to the efect of "equipment shall be deemed suitable for the enviroment in which it is installed", and I beleive there is somewhere else, but I'm struggling to find it! Help please?

Posted By: iwire Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/09/03 12:30 AM
I just had to use some of these in 4" a real bear to put on. [Linked Image]
Posted By: walrus Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/09/03 12:57 AM
Why couldn't you use a myers hub?? way better than a sealing locknut IMHO
Posted By: Roger Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/09/03 01:28 AM
Rabbit, we definately had the same type of weekend.

Roger
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/09/03 05:26 AM
warlus,
Actually the seaing locknut and the hub have the same rating as far as water protection and the locknut is much cheaper.
Don
Posted By: walrus Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/09/03 01:33 PM
Don
Thanks for the reply, I've never seen a sealing locknut and by the looks would have never guessed that it would have the same rating as a hub. Seems kind of like a flimsy rig to me and I not sure what would stop water from going thru the threads unless the o ring is big enough to seal around the pipe also?. Interesting [Linked Image]
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/09/03 01:49 PM
Another thought when punching holes for conductor entry into the side of a cabinet, 312.6 Deflection of Conductors.

I have seen where there is room, and I have seen guys bend the conductors in ways it was not meant to be bent.

There are tables to follow and I bet some don't care - where else do I enter the conductors in the cabinet/enclosure is what I hear.

Pierre
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/09/03 01:50 PM
The sealant does cut into the threads so it does get pretty well sealed. A Meyers hub is definitely the way to go on top. On the side a sealing locknut is fine. Make sure the conduit enters the enclosure dead straight.
Posted By: iwire Re: Outdoor Disconnect - 11/09/03 01:52 PM
walrus

From using both I have more faith in the sealing lock nut to stop water than a hub.

I would say a hub provides a stronger mechanical connection as it has more surface area in contact with the enclosure and raceway.

You are correct the seal makes contact with the threads.

That is why I said they can be a bear to put on, I was using a 4" x 6" nipple between NEMA 3R enclosures and threading the sealing lock nuts on the nipple takes wrenches the whole way as the seal presses into the threads.

Once tightened against an enclosure no water is getting by.

The 4" hub on top of my meter socket which has been tightened with wrenches still lets water in. [Linked Image]

Bob
© ECN Electrical Forums