ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/21/03 12:23 PM
I have been suddenly thrust into my first in-ground (fiberglass, one-piece) pool job.
I have 2 questions...
1.How does a strain relief (680.24(B)(E) connect to the inside of a raised deck box?
2.Is potting compound only required at the niche terminal? Is duct seal OK at the raised deck box?

Thanks
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/21/03 01:54 PM
Redsy,

The Deck Boxes come with the strain-relief and screws to mount it. It will probably be obvious as soon as uyou open the box.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 10-21-2003).]
Posted By: caselec Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/21/03 02:07 PM
Potting compound is required for the #8 ground if the forming shell is metal and the raceway is NM. Duct seal can be used to seal the raceway from the forming shell in the deck box. As Bill said it should be obvious how the strain relief mounts.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/21/03 02:11 PM
Too quick for me,

I removed my comment/question about the potting Compound and Duc seal as I have never seen either used. All the pools I've done always had a metal conduit.

Bill
Posted By: Redsy Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/21/03 02:39 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.
I really appreciate it!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/22/03 12:01 AM
Bill:
Just a point; out of 40-50 inground pools that I have inspected this season, NONE had any metalic conduit. You're using RGC???

Caselec has the sealing answered. If there's no compound at the luminaire shell and the #8 grd conn., and no duct seal (or compound) at the deck box, then it's red sticker time.

John
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/22/03 12:16 AM
John,

Actually it's been a few years now since I've done a Pool or Hot Tub. The amount of time and effort spent on estimates to the Consumer for these things wasn't paying off so it was easy to give up.

All the in-ground pools I've done had Brass Conduit to the wet niche, no GRC. The Pool guys installed it, bent and threaded it for us. So we just took it from there.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 10-21-2003).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/22/03 06:48 PM
Bill:
Boy, do I hear you on the "waste of time"

That's why I stay far, far away from resi.

As long as the comm stays steady, along with the site lighting, I don't need the run-arounds

"What do you mean, $100-$150.00 to install the $29 paddle fan I just bought at the big box store??"

Brass pipe?? OK, I have not seen that in a long, long time. Maybe Harold has!

John
Posted By: rmiell Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/22/03 09:38 PM
Here is a pic of the approved pool box that has been talked about. Look closely and you will see the strain relief on the cord.

[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]
Rick
Posted By: Redsy Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/23/03 11:16 AM
Thanks, Rick.

A pictures worth a thousand words!
Posted By: GTE Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/25/03 01:57 AM
Hotline 1,
90 percent of the pools in my area use use brass from the light to juction box. It may cost a little more, but saves a lot of time. If PVC is used the ground has to be potted & inspected before the pool can be filled. With the brass the pool can be completed without losing time waiting for inspection. I no nothing about duct seal in pipe.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/25/03 03:00 PM
Does anyone know of any place on the web that has a picture of the inside of a Deck Box with the Brass bottom? I'd like to post a picture here to show the difference from the PVC one here and illustrate how the internal strain relief clamp is configured in it.

Bill
Posted By: caselec Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/25/03 07:04 PM
Bill

I thought this box was non-metallic at first too but don't think it is. The 4 ground screws would be useless and the metal raceway connecting to the box would be a violation. I'm guessing it's just painted gray. The metal boxes used in my area have a brass base without any type of coating with either a brass or non-metallic cover. The cord grip is in the box is similar to a 2-screw NM connector.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/25/03 08:25 PM
Curt,

Yes, the boxes you describe are what I've been used to seeing too.

You've got me wondering on this box here now ....... John?

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: GTE Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/25/03 11:50 PM
The problem with PVC deck boxes is support. How are PVC deck boxes supported?
Posted By: Redsy Re: Wet-niche j-box questions - 10/26/03 11:48 PM
I thought the bottom was brass.
Maybe the one shown is plastic-covered brass.
© ECN Electrical Forums