ECN Forum
Posted By: Zapped Conduit for Metal Stud-Work - 09/11/03 11:38 AM
Hey All,

I have a ground-up install for a home being built with metal framing. I've only ever worked with metal framing on commercial projects, where all my wiring required metal conduit anyway.

My question is this: Do I need metalic conduit (flex, MC and EMT) throughout the entire home, seeing as how the circuits will chase through metal framing?

Additionally, do any of the masters in this forum have any general advise for performing this particular installation? Any pitfalls I should avoid?

Your infinite wisdom is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Posted By: sabrown Re: Conduit for Metal Stud-Work - 09/11/03 12:47 PM
If your location is using the NEC 2002 with no additional requirements that would disallow this then NM cables can be used if installed in accordance to 300.4(B)1 which requires listed grommets or bushings.

Shane
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Conduit for Metal Stud-Work - 09/13/03 05:59 PM
I am not familiar with California's code, I know that some changes have come about. But check to see if they allow NM cable installed. If so follow the lead of Shane.
I was recently in Orange County California and there was an all metal building going up. They were using EMT, I took pictures. I will try to send these in so you can see.

Pierre
Posted By: Zapped Re: Conduit for Metal Stud-Work - 09/16/03 02:23 PM
Thank you, gentlemen. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I think I'm going to try and squeeze metal conduit into the budget (or out of the client) just because I'll be much more comfortable with the install. Being that the vast majority of my experience is in commercial, I've never been a big fan of NM anyway.

BTW, this job happens to be in Laguna Beach (in Orange County, CA)

Thanks again!

-Shawn
© ECN Electrical Forums