ECN Forum
Posted By: Ryan_J Listing vs. Code - 08/25/03 10:44 PM
Which takes precedant...listing or code? Example: In a dentist office, the lights above the eximining chair are listed for ceiling mount. They come pre-wired as a cord and plug type assembly, with the cord going through the light, up the neck and into the ceiling. I have problems with cords in ceilings and cords passing through ceilings. Thoughts?
Posted By: iwire Re: Listing vs. Code - 08/25/03 11:09 PM
I got hammered on this before, most said no cords in the ceiling.

The item I had questions about was a motorized mount for a video projector.

It was UL listed and the only place an outlet would work was above the ceiling, the whole unit retracts flush with the suspended ceiling.

So do I remove the cord and hardwire it or put the outlet above the ceiling.

I have a set of prints now that ask for "Outlet in ceiling for projector"

Bob
Posted By: George Corron Re: Listing vs. Code - 08/25/03 11:13 PM
Ryan,
Do the manufacturers instructions say the cord passes through the ceiling, or is the cord and plug assembly supposed to be visible? As in a swag lamp?

Might wanna consult UL and find out what info was submitted if you find the instructions suspicious. Occasionally a manufacturer amends the installation instructions without submitting the change to UL, but they are not supposed to.

If you find it wrong, might wanna 'splain it to 'em, Lucy.

In the event of a tie, listing by a NRTL wins, as per our own code instructions, but that don't mean it's installed as the NRTL certified.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Listing vs. Code - 08/25/03 11:58 PM
Wouldn’t this be treated as similar to {99NEC} 410-30 for other cord-connected fixtures and lampholders?
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Listing vs. Code - 08/26/03 01:36 PM
Gentlemen, thanks for your replies. George: The cord passes through the ceiling, as per the manufacturer's instructions. I like your idea on looking more into the actual listing from UL, I think I'll do that. You speak of our code instructing us to have the listing prevail over the code. Are you refering to 110.3?
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Listing vs. Code - 08/26/03 01:59 PM
The listing rules do not have the force of law and cannot over ride the code rules which do have the force of law. In my opinion, in the case of conflict the most restrictive rule, either in the listing or the code should be applied. In this case, the cord and plug cannot be above the ceiling.
Don
Posted By: JBD Re: Listing vs. Code - 08/26/03 05:53 PM
Based on these 2002 NEC articles this cord connected light should be allowed:

The light is an appliance (Art100 defines an appliance as "Utilization equipment...").

The appliance is designed and listed and therefore intended for cord connection (Art400.7(8) specifically says "...the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.").

The restriction against cords above ceilings as found in Art400.8(5) is not pertinent because the entire Art400.8 is not applicable (Art400.8 says "Uses Not Permitted. Unless specfically permitted in 400.7...")
Posted By: electech Re: Listing vs. Code - 08/26/03 07:27 PM
If you want info on the safety listing of a product, the best place to go is the manufacturer (listee). It would be improper for an NRTL to have these sorts of conversations with anyone calling up on the phone - confidentiality agreements with their clients are required by ISO guide 25. The manufacturer is free to go into as much detail as they wish with whoever they wish - they could even send you a copy of the report data that they paid for.

Besides, who would you call? You would have to know what office the product was evaluated at and/or the file number/report number. And then where is your purchase order for the consulting work you are asking for? Your inquiry may lead to someone doing some checking on a given product (though I doubt it ), but shouldn't result in your immediate satisfaction. I wouldn't be comfortable using an NRTL that had a blab fest with every wise guy who gives them a call...

I'd say the best way through the corporate firewall would be to call the manufacturing or engineering location and ask to speak to a person in compliance, regulatory, or product safety engineering concerning the listing on product XYZ that your company is considering using. The person you reach may be completely clueless, or they might be able to explain every last detail of their product listing.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Listing vs. Code - 08/27/03 01:34 AM
Update: I got my hands on the installation guidelines for these appliances today. What do you know...plain as day it says that when mounting to ceiling, use a 3/8" flexible conduit to an electrical box for the connection...

Maybe I should have posted this thread under the "tricky contractors" thread started by Think good!!!
© ECN Electrical Forums