ECN Forum
Posted By: Ryan_J Bathroom receptacles - 08/22/03 01:50 PM
Let me start by saying that I try to leave interperation out of the code, but as we all know, that is not always possible. That being said, I had an electrician ask me about the required receptacle outlet in a dwelling unit bathroom. He has a pedastal sink and wanted to know if the elevation of the required receptacle outlet can be below the basin, as long as it is on the adjacent wall. The NEC doesn't address this. I would like to have some thoughts as to whether or not this meets the "intent" of the code. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Posted By: dana1028 Re: Bathroom receptacles - 08/22/03 04:52 PM
Yes - the receptacle is permitted to below the basin (or counter top).

I quote Jeff Sergeant from NFPA.

At a recent update training class provided by NFPA to building inspectors he (Jeff) specifically addressed this item and assured attendees that a receptacle could be placed below the basin/counter level as long as the receptacle was within 36" of the basin.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Bathroom receptacles - 08/22/03 05:08 PM
Dana, As always, thanks for your reply. I told him that I would allow it, my basis was that the NEC didn't strictly prohibit it. Thanks again.
Posted By: GTE Re: Bathroom receptacles - 08/22/03 06:03 PM
The inspectors in my area will approve basin receptacles if they aren't lower then 12" from the top of basin. The same a kitchen counter outlets.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Bathroom receptacles - 08/22/03 07:36 PM
We had a similar query over this point a while ago:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000621.html

Does anyone know if Virgil's proposal was ever submitted? If so, what was the outcome?
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Bathroom receptacles - 08/22/03 08:43 PM
The current proposed 2005 NEC change shows some relief:

Panel Meeting Action: Accept in Principle

In the 2002 NEC, delete the word "wall" in the first sentence so that it reads:

"In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin."

Also add an exception to 210.52(D) to read:

"Exception: The receptacle shall not be required to be mounted in the wall or partition where it is installed on the face of the basin cabinet not more than 300 m (12 in.) below the countertop."
© ECN Electrical Forums