ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Most 'Popular' NFPA Codes besides NEC? - 06/25/03 05:23 AM
What are the 'popular' (widely purchased and used) NFPA codes besides the NEC?

Thanks in advance for your input.
[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Roger Re: Most 'Popular' NFPA Codes besides NEC? - 06/25/03 12:18 PM
Bill, I use 72, 99, 101, and 110 pretty frequently.

Roger
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Most 'Popular' NFPA Codes besides NEC? - 06/25/03 12:45 PM
Hello Bill

I would say that for electricians it would be NFPA 72, 70E, 70B, 110. There are more, that get more specific in nature that I am sure are also used, such as for health care. There is also a new NFPA standard for residential work that might become popular, I cannot remember the # of it offhand.
There are other documents beside the NFPA that I believe all electrical people should have, we can save that for another discussion.

Pierre
Thanks Guys, if you know of any other NFPA codes commonly used by other Trades, Architects, Engineers, Inspectors etc. please include that info too.

Pierre,

Yes, other codes for Electrically-related people sounds like a good topic. Please feel free to initiate something on that.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 06-25-2003).]
Posted By: Ron Re: Most 'Popular' NFPA Codes besides NEC? - 06/25/03 06:39 PM
In addition to 70 (NEC), 72 (Fire Alarm Code) and 101 (Life Safety Code),
I also use NFPA 20 (Installation of Stationary Pumps for Fire Protection),
25 (Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems), 75 (Protection of Information Technology Equipment), 76 (Fire Protection of Telecommunications Facilities) 90A (Installation of Air-Conditioning and Ventilating Systems), 90B (Installation of Warm Air Heating and Air-Conditioning), 780 (Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection)
Thanks Ron!

Bill
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Most 'Popular' NFPA Codes besides NEC? - 06/26/03 05:03 PM
[Don't forget NFPA 780 - Lightning Protection Code.]
Bj,

Thanks!
Posted By: pwood Re: Most 'Popular' NFPA Codes besides NEC? - 06/27/03 11:29 PM
NFPA 13 for fire sprinklers is one i use as inspector/fire marshall quite often as well as 99,101 etc...
Thanks!
I don't have the NFPA code right now, but I have used the NFPA section on wastewater treatment plants. I have had to inspect wet wells and sewage ejector pumps. I have to check that section on how hazardous an area is. I also needed to know how many air changes where required to lower the classification of an area.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Most 'Popular' NFPA Codes besides NEC? - 07/03/03 03:54 AM
Bill

In New York State, we now have to follow the state code, it supercedes the NEC. So for some of the members here that is going to be a consideration. Especially since there are 8 separate documents to reference. Actually it is not that simple, depending on the occupancy and the type of work being performed, the NYS code rules sometimes, and the NEC rules sometimes. HMMMM !!!

Pierre
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Most 'Popular' NFPA Codes besides NEC? - 07/03/03 04:05 AM
Just for a thought.
In the NYS code, there are rules that tell us 'how' to drill and notch for cables and raceways, it gives actual dimensions for lumber size. How about stairway lighting, it mandates that the landing at the top and the bottom of the stairway have to have a 'light source located adjacent to the landing'. (that might not be the exact wording, my copy is at work)
Except NYC, in single family homes the AFCI protection is not required. Also the AHJ is the Building Official. Let me tell you some of the guys went off the wall when they heard that. And to end your misery, some of the building officials have been overiding the Electrical Inspectors, AFTER THE SHEETROCK has been installed!
I see changes in the air.

Pierre
In New York State, we now have to follow the state code, it supercedes the NEC.
Pierre,

I think this is more common than many people realize. It makes sense though. The adopted Building codes lay out the requirements for all work within occupancies including the Electrical work.

In another recent thread here we discussed some ways that the NEC is adopted in areas.

Bill
Here's the thread I was referring to:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001058.html
© ECN Electrical Forums