ECN Forum
Posted By: Edward Smoke detector requirements? - 06/24/03 12:36 AM
Does NEC require hard wired smoke detectors in a remodel and or new construction projects? And if yes i assume it has to be on its own circuit.

Regards
Edward
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Smoke detector requirements? - 06/24/03 02:00 AM
Some people put the smokes on the same circuit that has a few ceiling lights in the hall and or bedrooms. A circuit that will be missed by the homeowner if it's dead. Otherwise if the smokes are on their own breaker, it could be dead and nobody would ever notice. What does the code say?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Smoke detector requirements? - 06/24/03 03:35 AM
Edward,

Smoke Detectors is a Building Code requirement, not an NEC requirement.

I'd guess that if the remodelled area included Bedrooms it would be required for them to be installed. But that's really a question for your local authorities.

IMO, I don't think it's a good idea for Smoke Detectors to be on their own circuit.

Bill
Posted By: caselec Re: Smoke detector requirements? - 06/24/03 03:38 AM
This is a building code requirement not an NEC requirement. Since you are in CA we use the UBC and I believe section 1210 covers smoke detectors. You are required to install smoke detectors that meet this section anytime any alteration or repair exceeds $1000 and a permit is required. If you are remodeling an area where a smoke detector is required then it needs to be hardwired with battery backup but the other detectors can be battery only. In new construction all the detectors must be hardwired with battery backup and interconnected. Hopefully you already know where the smoke detectors are required. The UBC does not require a dedicated circuit and in my opinion they should be connected to a general lighting circuit so the homeowner knows if the circuit is off for any reason. A number of years ago there were a couple of city's that were requiring dedicated circuits but I haven't run into this lately.

Curt
© ECN Electrical Forums