ECN Forum
Posted By: Jim M Habitable room? - 06/20/03 10:51 PM
I have a job to wire a therapy tub in a single family dwelling. The tub will be set in a deck enclosed by a glass lean-to enclosure. Access will be from the bedroom via french doors. The room will have hvac.

Does this meet the definition of a habitable room? If so how would the prohibitions about receptacle distances from the tub play into the 6/12 spacing? Example, the tub will only be about 2' from the enclosure in some parts.

This will be under the 93 Code if it makes a difference. Any references would be appreciated.

TIA

Jim
Posted By: stamcon Re: Habitable room? - 06/21/03 01:33 AM
Jim, you need to find out what Building Code the house falls under. The Uniform Building Code defines a habitable space as "space in a structure for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet compartments, closets, halls, storage or utility space, and similiar areas, are not considered habitable space."
I would think, habitable or not, the electrical requirements for areas near a tub, etc, would be enforced over 6/12 spacing.

[This message has been edited by stamcon (edited 06-20-2003).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Habitable room? - 06/22/03 07:28 AM
Jim,
I would say that as long as the receptacles could not be accessed by people that were in the tub, it should be OK.
Is there going to be allowance for GFCI protection on these circuits?, if not, there should be!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: steve66 Re: Habitable room? - 06/24/03 05:19 PM
The NEC handbook states that "Chapters 5-8 modify chapters 1-4". 680.43 states that outlets can't be closer than 5' to a spa or hot tub. This modifies the rule requiring outlets every 12'.
© ECN Electrical Forums