ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss 250.104(A)(1) - 06/07/03 01:07 AM
250.104(A)(1) reads:
General. Metal water piping system(s) installed in or attached to a building or structure shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or to the one or more grounding electrodes used. The bonding jumper(s) used shall be sized in accordance with Table 250.66 except as permitted in 250.104(A)(2) and (A)(3)
Does this, by itself mean that water piping systems shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure and the grounded conductor at the service?

Or does it mean bonded to either the service equipment enclosure or the grounded conductor at the service?

Bill
Posted By: Roger Re: 250.104(A)(1) - 06/07/03 01:46 AM
Bill, as far as grammar is concerned, (I don't know if you want to listen to me knowing how I did in grammar) items in sequence divided by commas followed by "and" are in addition to. Items in sequence followed by "or" are optional.

Roger
Posted By: txsparky Re: 250.104(A)(1) - 06/07/03 01:56 AM
Roger,
You get an "A+" today !! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: 250.104(A)(1) - 06/07/03 02:30 AM
Roger,

I think you're right.
Do you think that was the intent?

Bill
Posted By: Roger Re: 250.104(A)(1) - 06/07/03 03:48 PM
Thanks Donnie. [Linked Image] Bill, I would say this was the intent. The part I think should be changed, is "or to the one or more grounding electrodes used". If the GE installation is soley rods and the GEC is #6 we would have a conflict with "the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size".

I mean if we bond to the GEC we have to concern ourselves with the size of the GEC but, if we attach to the GE itself the wording would let us ingnore the GEC size.

And on the same point, "The bonding jumper(s) used shall be sized in accordance with Table 250.66 except as permitted in 250.104(A)(2) and (A)(3)" what would this accomplish? [Linked Image]

Roger
© ECN Electrical Forums