ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Why are Tubs different? - 06/06/03 02:04 AM
Why are the rules regarding fixtures and devices around Bathtubs, Hot Tubs and Pools so different?

Example: No outlet allowed within X feet of Hot Tub or Pool, but one can be right next to the Bath Tub. Same with Light Fixtures.

Why is that?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Why are Tubs different? - 06/06/03 02:40 AM
Bill:
Could it be that there are different code "panels" that take care of the items??

That has been a puzzling question that I have had discussions about over the years, and still don't have a logical answer,

Let's see what your thread generates. How about a reply, Joe or Don??

John
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Why are Tubs different? - 06/06/03 04:26 AM
John,

I thought that might be a possible answer too.
I just don't know.

We talk about there not being any code against mounting a sconce over a Bathtub, or reguiring GFCI protection for anything in 'its 'zone'. Why is that? I thought it might have been a loophole, an oversight, but why wasn't it fixed over the years?

Anybody have any answers?

Bill
Posted By: Redsy Re: Why are Tubs different? - 06/06/03 10:54 AM
I think that, especially with the "pre-McMansion" era bathrooms, it was not possible to get a 10' clearance for a receptacle. As far as light fixtures, the rule for pools probably has to do with the possibility of contacting a light fixture with a long aluminum vacuum or hand skimmer pole.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Why are Tubs different? - 06/06/03 02:28 PM
Redsy,

Ok, the long metal pole angle was one I hadn't thought of... This wouldn't help explain the differences between Hot Tubs and Bath Tubs though.

Bill
Posted By: Redsy Re: Why are Tubs different? - 06/06/03 03:42 PM
Bill,
I think Hot Tubs are grouped with Pools for simplicity(?). The similarities in potential hazards (usually located outdoors, barefeet on grass or concrete) probably wouldn't justify a whole different set of rules for Hot Tubs than for Pools. (I can imagine someone getting out from the Hot Tub or Pool to chance a burned out lamp, or plug in a radio while still wet and standing on grass or a patio).
Both are separate from bath tubs.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Why are Tubs different? - 06/06/03 04:41 PM
Redsy,

For arguments sake, lets compare indoor Hot tub installations with Bathtubs.

Bill
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Why are Tubs different? - 06/07/03 03:03 AM
Maybe it is the fact that users of pools and hot tubs are much more likely to be using alcohol or similar mind numbing drugs than the user of a bathtub and therefore need more protection.
Don
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Why are Tubs different? - 06/07/03 03:19 AM
Don,

I can't argue with that!
[Linked Image]

This guy used to think it was handy that he could adjust the fan and light while sitting in the Tub

[Linked Image]

I gotta say Don, it seems like you're using those Smiley guys a bit more lately. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 06-06-2003).]
Posted By: Zapped Re: Why are Tubs different? - 06/14/03 11:50 PM
I always imagined the differences had something to do with practicallity (you really never blowdry your hair out by the pool), or perhaps it is the frequency of accidents that shape code policy and evolution.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Why are Tubs different? - 06/18/03 12:46 AM
Just my 2 cents, but how about showers/bath tubs do not have electricty going to it, but hot tubs, spas, and pools all do? Maybe?

HE
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Why are Tubs different? - 06/18/03 08:49 PM
For arguments sake, is a low mounted fixture or a very close switch or outlet any more hazardous near a Hot Tub than a Bath tub?

If so, why?

Bill
Posted By: steve66 Re: Why are Tubs different? - 06/19/03 07:03 PM
Harold has a point that hot tubs have electric pumps and heaters. Also, hot tubs and spa's may have chemicals added to the water that makes the water more conductive (think chlorine with electrically charged ions that can move).
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Why are Tubs different? - 06/19/03 10:32 PM
Steve,

I think some of the additives to Bath water probably have the effect of increasing conductivity too.

Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums