ECN Forum
Posted By: wa2ise Is this a permitted method emt to ac? - 05/24/03 10:30 PM
Is this allowed? Assume that there are no splices in the wires (that the BX sheath was cut several feet into its length and the newly exposed wire now resides in the emt. Also, do I need to keep the cover plate on the pull box accessible after it's installed in the house?

[img}http://home.netcom.com/~wa2ise/power/emt-bx.jpg[/img]

Bob, homeowner who'd like to get it right.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Is this a permitted method emt to ac? - 05/24/03 10:32 PM
[Linked Image from home.netcom.com]
Posted By: WebSparky Re: Is this a permitted method emt to ac? - 05/25/03 10:44 PM
Also, do I need to keep the cover plate on the pull box accessible after it's installed in the house?

Nec 2002
314.29 Boxes and Conduit Bodies to Be Accessible.
Boxes and conduit bodies shall be installed so that the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building...........

Hope this helps!
Dave
Posted By: Gabriel Re: Is this a permitted method emt to ac? - 05/26/03 03:56 AM
Hello Bob,

Yep-Conduit bodies and covers have to be accesible however if you change that jake-L in your photo to a flex changeover (maybe 1/2 rigid coupling) I believe your good to go
Also, all three items in the photo are approved raceways, I surely haven't ever heard of anything against using all together!
Posted By: electure Re: Is this a permitted method emt to ac? - 05/26/03 01:04 PM
If you were to change the pull elbow to a rigid coupling, it doesn't appear that one could see the required anti-short bushing for inspection purposes. The fix for that would be to use the type of AC connector with the small hole through which the bushing can be seen.
I think you're fine as is, provided you make sure it's accessible...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 05-26-2003).]
If the inspector was looking for an antishort all he would have to do is remove the cover and look for the little tail on the antishort. I have used a similar method when roughing in block walls. I would extend 1/2" conduits and 90 at ceiling. One could run mc to the conduit, use a mc/emt connector and strip mc long enough to get to box.
Posted By: Steve T Re: Is this a permitted method emt to ac? - 05/29/03 03:30 AM
Wire that is not a part of a UL approved NEC wiring method is required to be marked with certain information every so many feet. Since wire used in AC cable is typically not marked and only the tag on the AC cable tells you what type and size wire it is, technically I think it may be noncompliant.

Practically I think it is probably ok.

AC cable is not a raceway by the way.

No the short radius elbow cannot be buried.
© ECN Electrical Forums