ECN Forum
Posted By: Cindy paddle fan height - 05/15/03 02:01 AM
the only thing i could think of that might limit paddle fan heights is 410.3 about no live parts normally exposed, but it doesnt seem to apply unless you normally leave bulbs out.
so has anyone read anything in installation instructions or somewhere else?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: paddle fan height - 05/15/03 02:56 AM
Cindy,

I don't know where you're going with this, but I have heard some people interpret the Building Code as not allowing anything below 7 feet.

Bill
Posted By: DJF Re: paddle fan height - 05/15/03 03:36 AM
Most Manufacturer's Instruction sheets will have a minimum height listed.
I hope this helps a little.

[This message has been edited by DJF (edited 05-14-2003).]
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: paddle fan height - 05/15/03 04:55 AM
bonsoir cindy and other members :

ok for the celeing fan highet it genrally 7 feet high or higher never install the fan below 7 feet for safety reason. in case you have to strech your arm and actally hit the paddle fan that going be hurt!! and really it is common sense to install higher than 7 feet anyway. eventhru my home have catheral celeing and i keep my fans at 7 1/2 feet because i have few tall frenids who they come over and see me and they are tall 6ft5 inches and plus and they can hit the glass globe pretty easy with their head alone so that why ... but really most member here will use common sense and i know it is in bulding code but i doubt it will show in nec but i dont have 02 copy with me right now. if so i will qoute the number and subpargrah

merci marc
Posted By: zapped208 Re: paddle fan height - 05/15/03 08:10 AM
Goddess,- NO less than 7' AFF , is usually the minimum height.
Posted By: Cindy Re: paddle fan height - 05/16/03 12:28 AM
gee zapped...
"Goddess,- NO less than 7' AFF , is usually the minimum height."

goddess? hmmmm, not quite... you musta read my response to that 'whatdaya look like' post... i'll send my pic to Bill to post here, that should gross you out... just a plain jane oregon she-lectrician

thanks... the few installation instructions i've checked so far do have the 7' minimum ht
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: paddle fan height - 05/16/03 03:04 AM
Cindy,

To clarify my comment, The NY State Residential Code (which is based on, and may be identical to the IRC in this aspect) talks about ceiling height in it's Section R305.

It says that "Habitable rooms shall have a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet 6 inches" ... and "The required height shall be measured from the finish floor to the lowest projection from the ceiling".

I think that some people may be reading this (or similar language) as including Ceiling Fans and Light Fixtures.

I think we've had that discussion here somewhere.

Bill
Posted By: zapped208 Re: paddle fan height - 05/16/03 10:00 AM
Cindy,- Thanks for your reply, just a plain ole aging pipe bending,wire twisting, fool myself. Not really old, just feel like it some days!
Posted By: dana1028 Re: paddle fan height - 05/16/03 08:56 PM
Per OSHA:

1910.305(a)(2)(iii)(F)

Lamps for general illumination shall be protected from accidental contact or breakage. Protection shall be provided by elevation of at least 7 feet from normal working surface or by a suitable fixture or lampholder with a guard.

....is it fair to interpret this to include ceiling (paddle) fans?
Posted By: zapped208 Re: paddle fan height - 05/16/03 11:13 PM
Maybe the paddle fan manufacturers are using that OSHA rule as their interpretation about mounting heights.
Posted By: Cindy Re: paddle fan height - 05/17/03 02:10 AM
i think an inspector would be stretching it if he used a light to figure ceiling ht.... seems like a light is a light, and a projection is like nonmoveable structural parts..... i cant find projection in my definitions.

am going with 110.3B and the 7' from the mfg instructions for the inspectors... do they enforce osha stuff? does anyone enforce osha in homes? maybe in apartments?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: paddle fan height - 05/17/03 02:29 AM
Cindy,

I agree, it would be a stretch. And Chandeliers in Dining Rooms would not be allowed either.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: DJF Re: paddle fan height - 05/17/03 03:19 AM
"..am going with 110.3B and the 7' from the mfg instructions for the inspectors"
I would say yes!
Posted By: zapped208 Re: paddle fan height - 05/17/03 09:46 AM
Going once... Going twice... Sold for 7' [Linked Image]
Posted By: walrus Re: paddle fan height - 05/17/03 12:38 PM
As I'm 6'8", I lobby for higher than 7 feet [Linked Image], Low ceilings suck [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: paddle fan height - 05/17/03 04:05 PM
Walrus — No offense, but just don’t wear those “Spice Girls” tennis shoes with the 4-inch heels!

[W., you do shave your head right? ;-) ;-) ;-) Sorry.]
Posted By: walrus Re: paddle fan height - 05/17/03 11:22 PM
Bjarney
Actually I have and can grow quite a "fro" so shaving might help for clearances [Linked Image] I'd prefer high ceilings which is why my house has cathedral ceilings. 20ft to the peak in living room [Linked Image]. Where a nice ceiling fan hangs safely above my head [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: paddle fan height - 06/07/03 02:24 PM
Walrus,
I had no idea that you were so tall!.
© ECN Electrical Forums