ECN Forum
Posted By: Cindy house speaker wiring - 04/15/03 03:45 AM
640 and 725 confuse me. do you assume speaker wiring in the walls would be under 725 class 2? will the generic looking clear insulation speaker wiring pass inspection, or will it need labeling? and can the speaker wire be routed with the romex through the same bored holes? my understanding is that the magnetic field around the romex would interfere with the speaker wiring, however it is a legal installation??? thanks
Posted By: caselec Re: house speaker wiring - 04/15/03 04:43 AM
Cindy

The only speaker cable that I have ever seen that is UL approved CL3 rated is of a jacketed design. I haven't seen any of the zip cord type cable that is CL3 rated. Monster Cable makes some relatively inexpensive 16 and 14 gauge cable designed for basic systems. Don't pay attention to the prices listed, you can get it much cheaper. Genesis Cable also is a good source for this type of cable.

The is nothing in the NEC that would prohibit this speaker cable and NM cable from sharing the same bored hole but I definitely wouldn't recommend it. Keep speaker cables as far as you can from any AC lines to avoid picking up noise. Crossing the lines is fine but don't run them in parallel very far.

Curt

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 04-15-2003).]
Posted By: bobp Re: house speaker wiring - 04/15/03 03:16 PM
Monster cable (type SPT) is a listed flexible cord and should not be used as fixed wiring in buildings. See 400.7 and 400.8. Speaker cable that is used as fixed wiring should meet 725.

Bob
Posted By: Bjarney Re: house speaker wiring - 04/15/03 06:03 PM
In times past I have fished 10/3-WG NM cable for amplifier-to-speaker wiring, with all cables covered entirely by building finish. The cable jacket was not labeled or identified in any way, but both ends ended in one- or two- gang plastic nail-on boxes, terminated in “5-way” binding posts that clearly differentiated them from any 60Hz wiring. Was that a code violation?
© ECN Electrical Forums