ECN Forum
Posted By: CGeorge Damaged Nomex sheath? - 03/31/03 04:51 PM
Ok, I'll be up front and tell you I'm a DIYer ... that seems to be a bad word around here, but I'll ask anyway.

I've mis-hit a staple and damaged the outer sheath of some cable. Stuff seems to be fairly brittle when its cold! It's about a 1/2" split. The inner insulation appears to be intact, but you can't see to much.

When I've done this on smaller runs, I just replaced the whole thing, but this is a long run and was somewhat of a PITA to pull.

So what are my options? Replace the cable? Wrap with electrical tape? Cut & splice isn't an option, because I can't put in an accesible box at this location.

FWIW, I have two instances of this. one in a 12/2 NM-b, and the other in some 14/3
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Damaged Nomex sheath? - 03/31/03 05:09 PM
Romex is a brand name of NM Cable.

Nomex is DuPont's brand name for a material used for "fireproof" clothing.

Aside from all that, if the outer jacket is ripped, it is an indication of overzealous pulling techniques.

Truth is: on the rare occaision that this happens to me, I have been known to inspect for damage, and if satisfied, I'll simply tape up the jacket.

Not saying it is the right thing to do, as you already know what the right thing to do is.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Damaged Nomex sheath? - 03/31/03 08:49 PM
I agree with 66.
How about a box with a blank cover????
It's code, and it works most of the time.
Or else, as 66 said, "ya know what you have to do".
John
Posted By: CGeorge Re: Damaged Nomex sheath? - 03/31/03 08:56 PM
Yea, that's what I thought, but I figured I'd ask before tearing it out.

The box with a blank cover won't work because, as I understand it at least, the box would have to remain accesible, which isn't an option here.
© ECN Electrical Forums