ECN Forum
Posted By: khurst a/c disconnect - 03/06/03 08:20 PM
The situation, there is a 1/0 seu ran to an outside raintight 8 circuit breaker box on a 125 amp breaker in the house.that is for disconnecting means for 3 air conditioners using 2-240 amp & 1-230 amp breakers leaving 2 available spaces. Is this a code violation?
Posted By: WebSparky Re: a/c disconnect - 03/06/03 11:25 PM
Hi khurst,

Ummmm... I'm not familiar with some of your terms..... which part of the description above are you concerned with?

Do you mean 2 two pole 40amp breakers?

seu?

Are you are asking about the acceptable means of disconnect? and/or amp size of breakers?

Dave
Posted By: khurst Re: a/c disconnect - 03/07/03 12:06 AM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply
yes it would be 2 double pole 40 amp breakers 1 double pole 30 amp breaker my concern is the inspector says I can't have 2 available spaces left in this disconnect because there is no neutral in the disconnect
Thanks
khurst
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: a/c disconnect - 03/07/03 04:29 AM
Khurst:
Welcome to ECN.....
Not trying to be a wise guy...what would the inspector say if you installed another 2 pole cb, and marked it "spare"?????

John
Posted By: khurst Re: a/c disconnect - 03/07/03 09:05 PM
I think I will try that, but what he is getting at is that the homeowner could come off that disconnect and add receptacles in the yard or some thing like that that requires a neutral

khurst
Posted By: Creighton Re: a/c disconnect - 03/07/03 09:24 PM
This subject was discussed at length in a recent contractor-inspector meeting, and the result was that 110.3(B) requires a neutral to be run to the panelboard, even though it is not used. The manufacturer's instructions and drawing show a neutral termination, so a neutral must be run. Creighton
© ECN Electrical Forums