ECN Forum
To: JoeTedesco@joetedesco.com
Sent: 1/11/2003 6:36:57 PM
Subject: RECEPTACLES

Dear Joe:

I'm in Buffalo, N.Y.

I've been to your seminars in the past, though I haven't heard from you in a while.

Q: Is there a code requirement about the orientation of installing receptacles as it relates to the position of the ground hole?

That is: Should the ground hole be located "up" or "down"?

I ran across an incident where a metal face plate came loose & dropped down on a plug cord that came partially loose from the plug exposing a portion of its prongs.

When this happened,it shorted out the plug & you could imagine the sudden arc that was generated until the breaker blew.

On one hand, puting the ground hole up would have prevented this, but would still leave the cord plug contected terminals exposed.

Any thoughts?

Dave T.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-15-2003).]
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000057.html
Joe, In some other forums, they add recurring questions such as this to the FAQ. Because that is what it is, a "frequently asked question".
Pearlfish:

That may be true, but we don't have a FAQ area around here.

The question's asked of our members should include our opinions, and suggestions based upon our personal experiences.
My opinion hasn't changed a bit since the 2001 thread. Some of my customers are getting quite accustomed to seeing them "upside down" [Linked Image]...S
© ECN Electrical Forums