ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Re: Overhead Lines for private property - 12/17/02 07:06 PM
From the E-Mailbag: (please help if you can)
I am a claims representative and would like to clarify things about the overhead lines for private property. I am currently working on a claim that relates to overhead lines.

Can you kindly let me know what is the national electrical safety codes for an overhead lines above private property where the public travels? A huge truck while entering a chain restaurant from an exit, "clipped" an electrical wire causing damaged to the electrical wire including the pole attached to it. What is the minimum height requirement for a wire to be hanged according to the codes?

This incident happened in Illinois just in case you need to know.

Thank you in anticipation for an early reply.
Posted By: sparky Re: Re: Overhead Lines for private property - 12/17/02 09:04 PM
230.24(B) Vertical Clearance from Ground. Service-drop conductors, where not in excess of 600 volts, nominal, shall have the following minimum clearance from final grade:
(1) 3.0 m (10 ft) — at the electric service entrance to buildings, also at the lowest point of the drip loop of the building electric entrance, and above areas or sidewalks accessible only to pedestrians, measured from final grade or other accessible surface only for service-drop cables supported on and cabled together with a grounded bare messenger where the voltage does not exceed 150 volts to ground
(2) 3.7 m (12 ft) — over residential property and driveways, and those commercial areas not subject to truck traffic where the voltage does not exceed 300 volts to ground
(3) 4.5 m (15 ft) — for those areas listed in the 3.7 m (12 ft) classification where the voltage exceeds 300 volts to ground
(4) 5.5 m (18 ft) — over public streets, alleys, roads, parking areas subject to truck traffic, driveways on other than residential property, and other land such as cultivated, grazing, forest, and orchard

unsure of any Illinois ammendments
Posted By: Gwz Re: Re: Overhead Lines for private property - 12/17/02 09:44 PM
The question was 'private property' so NEC 225.18 would be the actual citation, but it is the same as the 230.24 quoted for 600 volt and less.

See 225.60 if over 600 volts.
© ECN Electrical Forums