ECN Forum
Posted By: ayrton "Group" (Fire Code) - 12/05/02 04:52 PM
In my Int Fire Code book they list what kind of fire systems are required per what kind of "Group" the building is. Where can I find the definitions for the different groups?
Ex Group A, Group E, Group R1 etc.
Posted By: Scotts Re: "Group" (Fire Code) - 12/05/02 06:42 PM
It sounds like you would have to try the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association). However the information is not free. It will cost you, or you could call up an architect. Or a fire sprinkler contrator.
Scott
Posted By: Ron Re: "Group" (Fire Code) - 12/06/02 12:50 AM
Which int fire code book are you using? The international building code has definitions as to group types for buildings in the book.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: "Group" (Fire Code) - 12/06/02 01:30 AM
You should be able to get the info you need from the building dept., or building inspector in your locality, or state. Also, the Fire Marshal (Fire Inspector) should be able to answer you.

John
Posted By: ayrton Re: "Group" (Fire Code) - 12/06/02 12:47 PM
It is the 2000 International Fire Code. Big red book. If I would have looked in the front, under definitions I would have found it. Sorry to bother you
Posted By: Scotts Re: "Group" (Fire Code) - 12/07/02 09:35 PM
When all else fails...Read the instructions.
[Linked Image]

Scott
Posted By: harold endean Re: "Group" (Fire Code) - 12/08/02 03:27 AM
Check with your local BOCA chapter for the exact listings, however a brief description is: A= Assembly (5 different classes)
B+ business..........E=Educational.....
F=Factory (2 classes).....H=High Hazard....I=Instituional(3 classes)....M=Merchantile....R=Residential(3 classes)....S=Storage (2 classes) and U=Utility. If you want more info, I will get it for you.

Harold
Posted By: harold endean Re: "Group" (Fire Code) - 12/08/02 03:30 AM
That previous post was suppose to say B=Business. Also by different classes A-1 is theater, A-2 is night club, A-3 is restaurant, A-4 is church, and A-5 is outdoor assembly. R-1 is Hotel, R-2 is multi family and R-3 is one/two family dwellings.

Harold
© ECN Electrical Forums