ECN Forum
Posted By: gisbon Outlet spacing - 10/29/02 11:34 AM
Yesterday it was pointed out to me that if you use a duplex receptacle the spacing in a residence can be 12 feet apart if a duplex and must be 6 ft if single receptacle (who would want single receptacles is beyond me) NEVER heard of this and disagree but am I wrong?

Thank you,
Tom
Posted By: sparky Re: Outlet spacing - 10/29/02 11:57 AM
Tom,
where you quoted a code in 210.52?
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Outlet spacing - 10/29/02 05:15 PM
Gisbon said:
"(who would want single receptacles is beyond me)"

--
I think the single receptacles are used for items that require a dedicated circuit where you don't want anything else plugged in - say a 110-volt 15 amp or 20 amp air conditioner, or a large refrigerator.

I have two Nema 5-20 single sockets in my flat. One is for the A/C unit in the bedroom and the one in the living room is for the computer. They're both connected to dedicated 20-amp circuit breakers.

You don't want someone plugging in their blender or electric iron into the same socket as the air conditioner. :-)
Posted By: sparky Re: Outlet spacing - 10/29/02 08:07 PM
i can see the rationale', lampcords being 6', and single receptacle ......yet i am finding no definition or code ref to insinuate 'duplex receptacle' or what would be a plural form of 'receptacle outlet
Posted By: gisbon Re: Outlet spacing - 10/29/02 11:17 PM
Sparky, There was no code reference pointed out to me just someones (AHJ) idea. I went to 210-52 made sure the article was not changed last week or by divine intervention. Just thought I would show how the code can be twisted. Thanks for your replies.

Sven..I understand exactly what you are saying and you are right. I was just pointing out how the idea that if you used single receptacles as the norm (versus duplex, which is the norm)in a residence (along the wall space) you would have to put them at six foot intervals as opposed to 12ft. Thank you for your reply.

Tom
© ECN Electrical Forums