ECN Forum
Posted By: Pearlfish Magnetic starters - 10/18/02 08:20 PM
Could someone please point me in the direction of where I can find the OSHA rule requiring magnetic starters on motors?

I have a customer Who's using his 3 pole disconnect switch to start a printing press. And doesn't understand why he should spend a thousand dollars to wire it differently since it's "worked fine for all these years".

I better include the verbage of what the fines will be if the inspectors should ever walk through his door.
Posted By: txsparky Re: Magnetic starters - 10/18/02 08:50 PM
pearlfish,
Read 430.32...but I would think that a printing press would have stop and start stations,as well as emergency stop buttons.Has everything been bypasssed?

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 10-18-2002).]
Posted By: Rick Re: Magnetic starters - 10/19/02 07:00 AM
Also NFPA 79
8.6 to 8.7 and 10.3 as well as NEC 430
Posted By: sparky Re: Magnetic starters - 10/19/02 10:15 PM
i believe that 'overloads' would be the concern, a mag-starter is simply the easiest way to incorporate these in a motor circuit.....
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Magnetic starters - 10/20/02 01:38 AM
I think that that there is an OSHA rule that says that the equipment cannot automatically restart when power is restored after a power loss. The easiest way to do this is with a 3 wire control circuit and a magnetic starter.
Maybe this thread should be in the safety forum.
Don
Posted By: Pearlfish Re: Magnetic starters - 10/21/02 01:42 PM
Txsparky....Yes, these are verrryy old presses, (one still has a leather drive belt) if there were any stop/start stations, they probably were removed before I was born.

sparky and resqcapt.....I'm sorry for speaking in generalities. I was referring to 3 wire control circuits on an overload protected starter. Actually I'm trying to bring them into the 1990's and sell them a freq. drive for this press

Sorry if I broke some boundry rule. I'll post in the right forum next time.

Thanx for all your help.
© ECN Electrical Forums