ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Load center in Kitchen? - 08/08/02 07:16 PM
I'm being told that a sub-panel can't be located in a kitchen.
All clearances are OK.
I can't find a reason.
I looked at 230.70, & 240.24. & 408.
Anyone?
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Load center in Kitchen? - 08/08/02 07:22 PM
Redsy,
I can't see any code violation as long as you have the required working clearances. Did they give a reason?
Don
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Load center in Kitchen? - 08/08/02 07:53 PM
Not allowed in closet, dwelling bathroom.

Kitchen restriction not found in my code. Inspector must cite a specific rule. Sure wish I could be there to hear where the rule is.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Load center in Kitchen? - 08/09/02 11:52 AM
I found out I am in the middle of a pi**ing contest between an insurance adjuster and a building management group.
There was a fire in a 6 unit apartment house, and the insurance company wants to re-use as much material as possible, including soot-covered electric baseboard heaters.
The property owners and myself insist on code upgrades.
As of yesterday I hadn't spoken to the inspector myself. But I have since done so, and he has no problem with the installation as submitted, and, as expected will require wiring to the current codes.
I guess second hand information is all but useless.

Thanks for the input.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Load center in Kitchen? - 09/18/02 03:32 AM
Considering all the circuits required for a kitchen, as well as the code's advice to allow for future growth, I think that a sub-panel for the kitchen is a wonderful idea!
Review: 2 appliance circuits; dishwasher/disposal circuit; refrigerator circuit; microwave circuit; 2 range circuits; lighting circuit. There goes an 8-space panel! (List of reasonable circuits- not required ones!)
© ECN Electrical Forums