ECN Forum
Posted By: arseegee Commercial Kitchen GFCI - 07/25/02 02:51 AM
210.8 B(3) - To what extent should this rule be applied. Would this cover refrigeration too? Stand up coolers and prep tables with refridgeration? There's no exception like 210.8 A (excptn #2). Can anyone shine some light.

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 07-25-2002).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Commercial Kitchen GFCI - 07/25/02 10:07 PM
Arseegee:
Looks like no one wants to touch this???
Basically, I can tell you how I handle this situation, with no problems from the various AHJ's.
If it's in a comm kitchen, and it's above a counter, table, etc., it is a GFI
The counters with refrig, we mount a eceptacle behind the unit (single) that is NEC conformant.
A "dedicated" outlet for a device that is intended to stay plugged-in all the time again, is a single receptacle. Where two items plug-in, it's a gfi.
Had no problems since 1986 with the above layout. Resturants, Diners, Country Club Kitchens, etc.

HotLine1
John
Posted By: arseegee Re: Commercial Kitchen GFCI - 07/25/02 10:52 PM
Thanks John.

I'm with you on that. I have not done a commercial kitchen from the 2002 code but have two to do this month. And my city inspector just retired so I'll have a newbie busting my chops. I'll discuss it with him and let you know. The NEC could be a bit more clear on this rule I think.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Commercial Kitchen GFCI - 07/25/02 11:20 PM
In the 2002 NEC there is no exception or allowance for single receptacles for dedicated equipment in Commercial Kitchens. Talk to your AHJ though and see what he says. If you have to use a GFCI receptacle I would put it where it is easily reachable or else use a GFCI CB.

Bill
Posted By: arseegee Re: Commercial Kitchen GFCI - 07/25/02 11:40 PM
Bill,

My concern is electrostatic build up on the refridgeration compressors causing nuisance tripping. Would hate to have to restock a big cooler full of goodies out of my pocket. Your thoughts?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Commercial Kitchen GFCI - 07/25/02 11:49 PM
I know what you mean and I don't like it personally. At any rate, you should make the owner aware that it is not your decision to make.

If it's not an oversight of the CMP it seems that the objection is to the outlet itself, not the equipment. There is no mention of GFCI being required for hardwired equipment BTW.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 07-25-2002).]
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Commercial Kitchen GFCI - 09/18/02 03:48 AM
Look at the bright side: Next year, new UL standards will take effect that include mandating that GFI's be more resistant to nuisance trips from refrigerators, etc. Leviton is already selling their "new" version.
© ECN Electrical Forums