ECN Forum
Posted By: ravin SE cable? - 06/21/02 05:57 AM
Hello, I installed and elec. service with the meter can and panel practically back to back within the same partion, I used SE cable due to the meter elevation to panel knock outs not in line with each other; the inspection failed due the inspectors reasoning that since the cable is unfused, it can't be inside a partion. Builder had to build out into room a deeper wall to facilitate the use of PVC conduit in lieu of SE cable. Should I have challanged his ruling. Any thoughts on this Thank you.
Posted By: George Corron Re: SE cable? - 06/21/02 12:53 PM
Ravin,
230-70(a) says it shall be installed as near as practicable. That is the only thing the NEC says on the subject, which leaves distances up to local interpretation.

In VA each county is allowed to set that distance, most of them pick 7 feet. If it is back to back (or nearly so, as you indicate) it would be allowed here. BUT you may not be here [Linked Image]

Suggest you call your local chief electrical inspector to ask what the interpretation is, an how far you're allowed to enter the building. This is an old argument, and I'm guessing they've already addressed it.

Personally, I don't think there is much 'structural' difference between the pvc and the sec.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: SE cable? - 06/22/02 12:27 AM
ravin,

Is this a 2x4 studded wall?

What you describe is common practice around here, but in reality there is not much to protect that cable and rather impossible to keep larger SE cables a safe distance away from finished surfaces in a 2x4 wall. It wouldn't surprise me if that was what they are concerned about. Just a guess.

Bill
Posted By: ravin Re: SE cable? - 06/23/02 04:30 AM
No Bill, the wall is 2x6, I've done many that way also; seems this inspection was based on what ifs. Thanks for response.
Posted By: Cindy Re: SE cable? - 07/02/02 03:53 AM
se cable to the next full stud bay, or even the first full stud bay around a corner, would be acceptable here in oregon.....

when you say "same partion," i assume you mean "same partition," and assume you are refering to the "same stud bay" within a partition? which would be way ok here
© ECN Electrical Forums