ECN Forum
Posted By: frodo Arc Fault Protection for Recpts only? - 04/10/02 11:53 PM
hi,
do the lights in a bedroom fall under the arc fault protection rule or may the lighting be on a seperate circuit? i am thinking the lights should be on the same circuit for that particular location?

thanks

frodo
Posted By: arseegee Re: Arc Fault Protection for Recpts only? - 04/11/02 12:59 AM
210.12(b) states that all 125v OUTLETS in dwelling bedrooms shall be protected. I take that to include recepts and lights.
I was also told closet lights and smoke detectors. I have heard some places say not to include the smokes which makes some sense to me. Is a closet light in a bedroom?
Posted By: eesparx Re: Arc Fault Protection for Recpts only? - 04/11/02 02:15 AM
Under the 1999 Code, I don't have the Article # in front of me, only the receptacles are required.

2002 Code: all openings, including lights & smokes, and any other openings on the bedroom circuits are required.

That's what AHJ, in my area of Colorado, has informed me.
Posted By: arseegee Re: Arc Fault Protection for Recpts only? - 04/11/02 02:30 AM
My AHJ is only requiring them for recepts. Which works for me since we pull seperate circuits for lights. Our inspectors said try and see how big of a headache they are, we will regroup in a few months and get some feed back to see if they work in the real world.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Arc Fault Protection for Recpts only? - 04/11/02 04:35 AM
Just finishing up on a rough in for the first house that I've ever put lighting on the tail end of the receptacle chain, bedrooms only. It will use three AFCI CBs, one for each bedroom. It would have been at least four any other way.

Grumbling about old dogs and new tricks...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 04-11-2002).]
Posted By: frodo Re: Arc Fault Protection for Recpts only? - 04/11/02 04:37 PM
hi,
called ahj this morn, he says all electrical devices, including SMOKE DETECTORS,,

-regards

frodo
© ECN Electrical Forums