ECN Forum
Posted By: Mike Wescoatt Location of sub-panel - 03/31/02 04:59 PM
I'm helping a friend build a new second floor laundry room and have run cable for a 40A sub-panel for the washer, dryer, outlets and lights. This room is in an old attic space where the ceiling runs from 9' to 5' over the length of the room. In the short end of the room (ceiling from 4.5' to 2') they are building a storage space (insulated and rough drywalled) accessed by a 36Hx24W" door. Do you see any problems or restrictions with placing the panel just inside the small door? The center of the panel would be at 36" and there will be permanent lighting in this 60"x96" crawlspace.
I would put it in the new room, but all of the walls have washer, dryer, or cabinets on them...
Posted By: Tom Re: Location of sub-panel - 03/31/02 09:21 PM
There might be a lack of working clearance. The depth of the working space is 36" from the cover of the panel & the space is 30" wide. Can you clarify what the dimensions of this storage room are & include the depth?

Another problem is that you've told us this is a storage area. 110.26(B) says the working space is not to be used for storage.

Since this is a residential installation, the headroom requirement is waived. Exception to 110.26(E)

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 03-31-2002).]
Posted By: Mike Wescoatt Re: Location of sub-panel - 04/01/02 12:15 AM
Panel is located on South wall just inside door which is on West wall. E/W dimension is 60", N/S dimension is 96". There would be no storage space in front of the panel since anything stored here would be in the way of the access to the space, but the depth of the space could be limited to the width of the door, 24". Could this be remedied by permanently marking on the floor "KEEP THIS AREA CLEAR"?
Posted By: Tom Re: Location of sub-panel - 04/01/02 12:53 PM
There appears to be adequate working space.

Signs are about useless (opinion) since the panel is close to the door, chances are that there wouldn't be anything piled up in front of the panel.

The only other potential problem would be 110.26(C)(1), access to working space is not defined in this particular case & would be a judgement call on the part of the AHJ. I've seen emergency escape doors this size at some coal mine installations (aboveground). State & federal mine inspectors are even tougher than the inspectors we deal with so I'd be inclined to say that the access is adequate.

Tom
© ECN Electrical Forums