ECN Forum
Posted By: eman1963 dish washer - 03/22/02 07:36 PM
does a dish washer require a seperate circuit or not ?
Posted By: Tom Re: dish washer - 03/22/02 09:26 PM
Well, it depends on how much of a load the dishwasher is. Start at 422-10(b) which refers to 210-23 if the circuit will supply the dishwasher and other loads.

If the dishwasher is cord & plug connected & is portable, it cannot exceed 80% of the circuit rating.

If the dishwasher is fastened in place, it cannot exceed 50% of the circuit rating if the circuit also supplies any of the other loads mentioned in 210-23(a).
Posted By: motor-T Re: dish washer - 03/22/02 09:40 PM
That is as long as it is not put on the small appliance circuit, ala

210.52(B)2 No other outlets. The two or more small appliance branch circuits specified in 210.52(B)1 shall have no other outlets.

So I would say yes it needs its own circuit.
-Mark-
Posted By: George Re: dish washer - 03/23/02 12:54 AM
Different codes have different requirements.

From the 1998 ICC 1 & 2 Family dwelling Code, it is clear that the recept for the dishwasher may be on the small appliance circuits:

"Other receptical outlets provided ... shall be supplied by the small appliance branch circuits or other branch circuits."

I prefer to place the dishwasher, refrigerator, and disposal on one dedicated circuit. That might be an option for you.
Posted By: sparky Re: dish washer - 03/23/02 01:31 AM
My preference is simply to overwire. This is NOT a bidwinner, only condusive to a good nights sleep...
All my kitchens have seperate appliance circuits
( which is why i need a 40 cir MLO {200A} panels in 100A calc'ed homes...)
WHY?
because the majority of old work problems is lack of ampacity....
Posted By: eman1963 Re: dish washer - 03/24/02 03:22 AM
i think the frig dishwasher and disposal would be to much on one circuit.
i usually run one circuit to each
Posted By: motor-T Re: dish washer - 03/24/02 12:45 PM
eman
The refrigerator is allowed to be on the samll appliance branch circuit, or not your choice.
The Dishwasher and disposer are not allowed to be on the small appliance circuits.
They must be on their own circuits.
-Mark-
Posted By: Redsy Re: dish washer - 03/25/02 12:48 AM
A sepater ckt. for a GD seems overkill.
I like a 20 amp ckt. for GD & DW.
Dedicated 15 amp for frig.
Posted By: Redsy Re: dish washer - 03/25/02 12:49 AM
A sepater ckt. for a GD seems overkill.
I like a 20 amp ckt. for GD & DW.
Dedicated 15 amp for frig.
I'm more concerned with hte defrost cycle of the frig. than the running cycle. Anyone got the numbers?
Posted By: NonLinearLoad Re: dish washer - 03/25/02 01:29 AM
I'm in agreement with the majority.
I give dish/disp it's own cicuit. Frig. is always on its own. Micro/stove electronic ignition, on its own, too many inspectors have insisted on this one, micros are too big and bad nowadays.
Two small appliance as per code, yet I try not to exceed 3 outlets or 4 on each one.
And all of this depends on the homeowner with their specific appliances in mind, let's get toaster oven and a countertop micro going together, oh a little coffee, and some toast too, and they are all on the same wall.
Overwiring up front can avoid the service calls. Everything seems to get bigger and badder.
Everything is networked and typically numerous 1/2" HRS, 3/4" if the wire is dumped ASAP.
Posted By: electrician02125 Re: dish washer - 04/03/02 06:35 PM
I'm with Sparky:

What happens in the future when the dishwasher is replaced with a larger or fancier model that draws more ampacity ?

Overwire and sleep better at night.

Future proof the installation.
Posted By: electure Re: dish washer - 04/04/02 12:57 PM
Although we generally wash the dishes off, run the GD, and then run the DW, I agree fully with Sparky separate circs
My DW has a monster heating element for sanitizing and drying purposes. If run simultaneously with a big Insinkerator 777 GD, I think it would trip anything but an FPE C/B.
Wire for the future.
© ECN Electrical Forums